Views
Helpful
Replies

Secondary address

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Hi All

I read a document which explains secondary address. Now it seems that the secondary address is very similar with loopback address functionally. Any one can explain the difference between secondary and loopback address ? I know the loopback is interface, while secondary address is an address. but the function is very similar, do you think so ?  Thank you !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A secondary IP address is usually assigned to a physical interface on the router so if the interface goes down then the IP is no longer reachable.

They are used for a number of things although I have to say I have never had to use one. An example of where you might use one is if you were migrating devices from one IP subnet to another and you temporarily used a secondary IP address for the new subnet on the L3 interface.

I'm sure others could point out other uses.

A loopback interface is a logical interface on the router and is not tied to any physical interface. This mean unless the entire router goes down the loopback interface will always be up.

Because of this they are used quite frequently in terms of router ids, multicast RP addresses, management interfaces, router peerings etc. The advantage being that if a router has multiple interfaces and redundant paths etc. if one of the physical interfaces goes down the loopback IP is still reachable.

They are also very useful in lab scenarios where you can configure multiple loopbacks on a router and advertise them into a routing protocol etc. which means you don't need a router with a lot of physical interfaces.

I would say from my experience you will come across loopbacks far more than secondary addressing.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A secondary IP address is usually assigned to a physical interface on the router so if the interface goes down then the IP is no longer reachable.

They are used for a number of things although I have to say I have never had to use one. An example of where you might use one is if you were migrating devices from one IP subnet to another and you temporarily used a secondary IP address for the new subnet on the L3 interface.

I'm sure others could point out other uses.

A loopback interface is a logical interface on the router and is not tied to any physical interface. This mean unless the entire router goes down the loopback interface will always be up.

Because of this they are used quite frequently in terms of router ids, multicast RP addresses, management interfaces, router peerings etc. The advantage being that if a router has multiple interfaces and redundant paths etc. if one of the physical interfaces goes down the loopback IP is still reachable.

They are also very useful in lab scenarios where you can configure multiple loopbacks on a router and advertise them into a routing protocol etc. which means you don't need a router with a lot of physical interfaces.

I would say from my experience you will come across loopbacks far more than secondary addressing.

Jon

Thank you, Jon. you are right 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card