cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connnecting to 2960s management interface fa0

Clay Plaga
Level 3
Level 3

I've found some information that may answer some of my question. When I do an initial configuration on a switch, I use the console cable. When doing this initial configuration, I want to configure the management interface fa0 as an in band management port on vlan 2.

I am doing a basic configuration on a Cisco 2960s switch. I have given the switch an administrative IP address of 192.168.0.149. I'm using interface gi1/0/1 as an in band management port on vlan1and it's working. I tried connecting the cat 6 cable from gi1/0/1 to the dedicated management port fa0, but I was not able to log into the switch with putty. I want to change the management interface to the dedicated management port, interface fa0. I am new to the Cisco CLI. Can someone show me how to do this, and what CLI commands I need to use to make this configuration change.

Thank You.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have access to the switch via console configure the out-of-band management port (fa0) with an IP address and than connect this port to your PC/laptop and put your laptop/PC in the same subnet and test connectivity.

config t

interface fa0

ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

no sh

give ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 to your laptop and now test via putty.

HTH

Thank you for the help. This is what I need to do. I have the management interface set to vlan 1(default), on gi1/01. I need to move the management interface to the dedicated management interface (fa0).

I have 2 questions:

1. Do I need to put the dedicated management interface(fa0) on a vlan?

2.I have the administrative  management ip address and default gateway on vlan 1, do I have to move the ip address and default gateway to the new vlan which will be vlan 99?

Thank You

1. Do I need to put the dedicated management interface(fa0) on a vlan?

no, all you need is an IP address under interface fa0, as I specified in the first post

2.I have the administrative  management ip address and default gateway on vlan 1, do I have to move the ip address and default gateway to the new vlan which will be vlan 99?

If you are going to be using interface fa0 to access the device, than after assigning an IP address to the interface, you need a default route or a default-gateway to whatever device this port will be connected to so the switch is accessable from other subnets. If you want to use vlan 99 for management than you don't use fa0 interface and the device will be managed in band.  fa0 is for out-of-band management and vlan is for in band.

HTH

Yes, I have set the default gateway.

So your saying the dedicated management port fa0 is the same as the out of band console port? If I want to use vlan 99 for the management, I have to use a gigibit interface for in band management.

So your saying the dedicated management port fa0 is the same as the out of band console port?

not out-of-band console port.  It is out-of-band management port.

console and management ports are different.

want to use vlan 99 for the management, I have to use a gigibit interface for in band management.

correct. You can use any of the regular ports.

HTH

Thanks for the help, but I still do not understand what you are saying. What would I use the dedicated management port(fa0) for?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card