Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV Site VLAN Configuration

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I am implementing OTV between to sites using the ASR 1002X routers. My topology for one of the sites is attached. How do I go about configuring the site VLAN so both ASRs on this site can see each other. I have seen the following config but can't seem how they will still identify each other without a site VLAN running between then.

otv site bridge-domain 11
otv site-identifier 0000.0000.0011

Thanks
4 Replies 4

walter baziuk
Level 5
Level 5

let me know if you find a soln 

I'm interested in doing this also

Ok so what I have found until now is i can use the above commands to define the site vlan in this case 11. This has to bee the same for all devices on the same site. 

The site identifier can be different from the site vlan but has to be the same for all devices on the same vlan.

Then in on the internal interface we need a service instance that is basically trunk config to allow the site vlan down the link to the internal switch, that config is

Service instance 11

Encapsulation dot1q 11

Bridge-domain 11

Again only encap dot1q refers to the vlan but the others need to be unique so easier just to use the same number as the vlan no.

Finally on the internal switch just create clan 11 and allow it on the trunk to the asr.

I believe thats it for the site vlan, not put to the test yet though. Feel free to correct me if im wrong

HTH

do you have a link to where cisco documents this s/w and soln

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, the site VLAN must be the same for site adjacent devices. The site identifier is is advertised in the ISIS hello packets, and are sent over the overlay as well as the site VLAN. With this information, the AED's are able to work out the topology and who is at X site and who is local.

When you configure the site vlan make sure this is not extended over the overlay interface and only the Inside interface.

e.g.

interface gi0/0/0

service instance X

encapsulation dot1q X

bridge-domain X

Be sure you have Layer two end to end from both AED's at the site so they can communicate.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card