Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice clients per AP

mcaoile
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I would like to know how many voice clients can be supported in a Cisco 3700 AP?  I have seen a document (Document ID:8103);

Q. How many wireless IP telephony handsets are recommended per AP?

A. IP telephony network sizing is essential to ensure that adequate bandwidth and resources are available to carry mission-critical voice traffic. In addition to the usual IP telephony design guidelines for sizing components, such as PSTN gateway ports, transcoders, WAN bandwidth, and so forth, also consider these 802.11b issues when sizing your wireless IP telephony network:

• Number of 802.11b devices per AP: Cisco recommends that you have no more than 15 to 25

The number of 802.11b phones you can deploy per Layer-2 subnet or VLAN depends on these factors:

• Use no more than seven G.711 or eight G.729 active calls per AP.

On 7925G IP phones, I have read in an article not to use WPA2/PSK encryption.  Is this still true?

Regards,

Manuelito

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Refer this document for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7925g/7_0/english/deployment/guide/7925dply.pdf

Here is the numbers as per this doc

On 7925G IP phones, I have read in an article not to use WPA2/PSK encryption.  Is this still true?

No, it is not true.

I think this is the document you referring where Cisco recoomends WPA2/802.1X over PSK, but still you can use WPA2/PSK with 7925G

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/112171/how-get-your-792x-wireless-phones-performing-reliably

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I would like to know how many voice clients can be supported in a Cisco 3700 AP? 

In addition to Rasika's post, I'd like to add the following: 

1.  In regards to 792X phones, it's best to use WPA2/PSK with CCKM enabled; 

2.  Firmware on the phone is very important.  Make sure the phones are running a minimum code of 1.4(3) or newer firmware; 

3.  Don't forget to check your ethernet and LAN.  It's of no use if the APs are connected on 100 Mbps; 

4.  Make sure there's ample signal propagation; 

5.  When it comes to voice, 802.11a is king.  There's a setting on the phone, and by default, 802.11a is preferred and 802.11b is used when 802.11a is not ample; and 

6.  WLAN data rates:  Good practice to disable low-speed data rates from 1 Mbps to 11 Mbps.  Make 12 Mbps as Mandatory and the rest are Supported.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

Refer this document for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7925g/7_0/english/deployment/guide/7925dply.pdf

Here is the numbers as per this doc

On 7925G IP phones, I have read in an article not to use WPA2/PSK encryption.  Is this still true?

No, it is not true.

I think this is the document you referring where Cisco recoomends WPA2/802.1X over PSK, but still you can use WPA2/PSK with 7925G

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/112171/how-get-your-792x-wireless-phones-performing-reliably

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I would like to know how many voice clients can be supported in a Cisco 3700 AP? 

In addition to Rasika's post, I'd like to add the following: 

1.  In regards to 792X phones, it's best to use WPA2/PSK with CCKM enabled; 

2.  Firmware on the phone is very important.  Make sure the phones are running a minimum code of 1.4(3) or newer firmware; 

3.  Don't forget to check your ethernet and LAN.  It's of no use if the APs are connected on 100 Mbps; 

4.  Make sure there's ample signal propagation; 

5.  When it comes to voice, 802.11a is king.  There's a setting on the phone, and by default, 802.11a is preferred and 802.11b is used when 802.11a is not ample; and 

6.  WLAN data rates:  Good practice to disable low-speed data rates from 1 Mbps to 11 Mbps.  Make 12 Mbps as Mandatory and the rest are Supported.

mcaoile
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rasika,

Another followup question, as I understand I can't use CCKM with WPA2/PSK. In order to use CCKM the authentication method should be 802.1x.  Is that correct?

Regards,

Manuelito

CCKM is only for 802.1x. The roaming time is faster when using psk over 802.1x with no CCKM. With CCKM the roaming is faster. So it depends on what you want to do. If you don't have a radius server, you still can use 802.1x with local eap done in the WLC.  You can setup separate username/password for each phone or setup a general username/password for all phones.  This will depend on how much management you want to do. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card