cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

bandwidth control druing large file transfer

yeow_km
Level 1
Level 1

My user has an application that requires him to transfer hugh files from one location to another location.

our whole company is connected via ipvpn tunnel each office has a 20Mb ethernet WAN link.

when this user starts his file transfer, it will choke up the whole 20Mb in that particular office.

we have checked at the application layer, but there is no option to control the file transfer speed or bandwidth

is that any way, I can control the bandwidth usage of this user?

7 Replies 7

Hello.

You may configure QoS on the link, putting the file transfer (identify with ACL or NBAR) into dedicated class with least priority.

all my routers goes through a gre tunnel.

can i do something like this to shape the traffic ??

interface Tunnel0 
  ip address 10.200.100.20 255.255.255.0 
  traffic-shape rate 500000 125000 125000 1000 
  tunnel source 10.1.1.1 
  tunnel destination 10.2.2.2

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I think newer IOSs no longer support GTS (generic traffic shaping).  If not, CBWFQ with an embedded shaper can do the same (and more).

That said, shaping the tunnel will apply to all that tunnel's traffic.  Thought you just wanted to avoid a single heavy bandwidth flow from being adverse to other traffic?

yes, i still need to control the specific user traffic.

traffic shaping will control all traffic.

i have his ip address, now i need to get the port/application that he uses during the file transfer.

on my router, i can see that when there is large file transfer, the gre tunnel is fully congested.

how can i further see what kind of traffic is passing through?

SrcIf         SrcIPaddress    DstIf         DstIPaddress    Pr SrcP DstP Bytes
Local         172.30.111.1    Gi0/1*        172.30.100.1    2F 0000 0000   364M
Gi0/1         172.30.100.1    Local         172.30.111.1    2F 0000 0000    47M

Tu1011        172.30.111.1    Gi0/1*        172.30.100.1    2F 0000 0000  5696
Gi0/1         172.30.100.1    Local         172.30.111.1    2F 0000 0000   168
Gi0/1         123.49.71.17    Local         123.49.71.18    06 00B3 86CF    40
5 of 10 top talkers shown. 5 flows processed.

netflow

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Your options for bandwidth control depend much on your platforms.  Some devices would allow you to police or shape your traffic, but at Vasilii describes, probably the best solution would be to deprioritize this bulk transfer traffic using QoS.  (For 20 Mbps, you might need a hierarchal shaper.  Also for this to work well with Internet VPN, you cannot have anything else sharing Internet ingress.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card