cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Signal propagation pattern vs metal studs?

We have a building where it's effectively constructed like a warehouse with only concrete exterior walls. Inside, pretty much all the hallway and room walls are temporary metal stud walls with sheetrock.

I have been trying to better understand the effect these metal studs may have on signal reception. Can anyone tell me if these concerns are valid?

It seems that the studs are probably transparent to radio signals if the radio signals are directly parallel to them, but as the angle of the radio signal increases, the metal studs appear to combine in a diffraction pattern to form a solid wall or mirror, blocking the signal.

So although sheetrock does not affect signal strength much, at a distance and at a high angle from the AP, the metal studs may effectively be reflecting and blocking nearly all of the AP signal getting into distant rooms.

If I am understanding this correctly, then apparently for best room-to-room coverage, we want the antenna as far away from the metal studs as possible. To do that, it appears we need put the radios not in the hallways but directly in the rooms, in the center which is the furthest away the radio can be from the studs.

Is this analysis correct?

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Firstly, antenna or APs in/along the hallway.  Depends on how you deploy the APs (controller-based or not).   In autonomous AP you won't see any issue because the APs don't talk to each other.  For controller-based APs, the APs talk to each other so the WLC will see two (or more) APs and the signals are strong so the WLC will adjust the channels accordingly and giving low signal to pass through the walls and lesser signals to clients on the other side of the wall.  

Next, metal stud walls.  We have them.  This is why we put our APs in the middle of the room or inside the room.  

Just to add to Leo's comments, you need to at least sample some of the areas or have a site survey done.  This way at least you know that if you place an access point in the middle of the room, you know how far the signal will be in the adjacent rooms or hallways.  Now, this data can be used to determine the next access point placement to meet the required signal/snr for your deployment.  Very old building that I have surveyed, had to have access points in every room due to the building construction.  Newer buildings with metal studs, are not affected as much as far as attenuation, but again, you need to at least sample the are if your not going to have a site survey performed.  Guessing will not really help here because environments are different.  You can have metal shelving's or file cabinets, etc that will also attenuate the signal.  

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card