cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will a Power Cycle fix a incorrect configuration?

ChrisHudd33513
Level 1
Level 1

We are considering making a few modifications to our network after business hours but are a little unsure as to the possible ramifications.  I'm almost certain this is accurate but I want to be 100% sure.  If we find that we are creating more problems than fixing, I can simply power cycle the router/switch and it will boot with the startup config and discard the unsaved running config correct?

Is there any configuration I can't remove, so long as I don't do a copy run copy start,  by doing a power cycle?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Chris, you are correct, as long as you don't save the config, if you reload, the router/switch should come up with its original startup config. Normally when I'm making those worrying types of changes on a remote router/switch, I give myself X amount of time to complete the change, + or - 5-10mins i set my "reload in Y", if all goes well then just simply cancel the reload with "reload cancel"

hope this helps.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Chris, you are correct, as long as you don't save the config, if you reload, the router/switch should come up with its original startup config. Normally when I'm making those worrying types of changes on a remote router/switch, I give myself X amount of time to complete the change, + or - 5-10mins i set my "reload in Y", if all goes well then just simply cancel the reload with "reload cancel"

hope this helps.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

In addition to what Bilal has already posted, newer IOS version might support configure replace nvram:startup-config, assuming you haven't lost access to the device, this command saves you from the time of going through a reload.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card