cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prefer IBGP paths over EIGRP

ncsu.gaurav1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Hub router at Data Center that is the IBGP neighbor with the spoke routers over the MPLS mGRE tunnels. With one of the Spoke routers, it also has an EIGRP peering over a point to point IPSec tunnel over a secondary physical link at the Spoke site. I need to set up a routing so that I can redistribute the EIGRP learned paths under the BGP process in case if the primary router or the link goes down at the Spoke site, then the BGP advertisements should still be able to go to the other IBGP peers regarding an alternative path through the EIGRP learned routes. However, I need to make sure that if both links are up at the spoke site, then the Hub router prefers the paths learned through the IBGP peering instead of EIGRP learned paths. Any help or examples would be most appreciated.

Best regards,

Gaurav.

5 Replies 5

e.ciollaro
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

it is not enough to change the EIGRP administrative distance to any value higher then 200, so that iBGP will be preferred ?

enrico

If the routes are advertised into your network through EIGRP over an IPSec tunnel and being advertised as the very same routes through IBGP peering, how does changing the administrative distance on the EIGRP learned routes work? Do you change the administrative distance on the spoke so that it advertises with a EIGRP admin distance of let's say 210 and then when it comes in it gets stored as an alternative path?

AD is local to the router ie. it is not included in routing updates.

So you need to modify the AD on the router with both EIGRP and IBGP routes where you want to prefer the IBGP routes.

Jon

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

BGP backdoor makes the IGP route the preferred route.

Issue the network address backdoor command under BGP process

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Hi rcochenos

I don't think it's useful, it's seems me that what need is to make the EIGRP admin distance worst not the iBGP.

In any case iBGP already has an admin distance of 200, backdoor it's useful to make worst the admin distance of networks learnd through eBGP

e

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card