cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-VLAN Routing Issue

Michael Kline
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3750 switch with two 48-port switches connected via stacking cable.  On these switches I have two VLANS: VLAN100 for data,  and VLAN300 for Desktop VTCs (dVTCs).  I configured the switch with VLAN 100 having an ip address.

I have verified:
-IP Routing is enabled
-the default gateway is correct
-my trunk port is dot1q encapsulated and passing VLANS 100 & 300. 
-On my Cisco 2951 router, I have created sub-interfaces with IPs and dot1q encapsulation. 
-I am running OSPF and verified that both my data and video networks are being advertised.

Here's the problem:  When I move my dVTCs into VLAN 300, I cannot ping the devices from either the switch or the router.  I am able to ping the VLAN 300 gateway from the switch, but I am not able to ping either of my dVTCs.  Also, from my dVTCs, I cannot reach the gatekeeper.  The interesting thing is that when I move my two dVTCs into VLAN 100 and move the VLAN 300 sub-interface address to the VLAN 100 sub-interface as a secondary address, everything works great on my dVTCs.

I have other campuses where I run the same configuration of VLANs, and everything works great.  I feel like I am just missing something on my switch that I missed in my configuration but I am not seeing it.  I apologize, but I am not able to post my configuration as my network is an isolated DoD network and cannot be posted.  But if you have some ideas for me to check, I would appreciated it.

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you move your dvtcs to vlan 300, do you see the mac addresses in that vlan?

sh mac address-table vlan 300

Also, on the router, do you see the IP address of the dvtcs?

sh ip arp <the ip address of the dvtc>

HTH

When I move my dvtcs into vlan 300, the dvtc mac address do not show up in that vlan.  Also, when I sh ip arp, I show the two dvtcs addresses in vlan 100, not vlan 300.  Under the sh ip arp, I see the dvtcs gateway in vlan 300 (in this configuration, I can ping the gateway from the switch, but I cannot ping the device IPs)

When I move my dvtcs into vlan 100, both dvtc mac address do show up in vlan 100.  In the sh ip arp, I show the two dvtcs and the dvctc gateway in vlan 100 ( everything works)

For test, can you try creating a completely new vlan (vlan 50) and put the dvtcs in it and test again?

HTH

I created VLAN 400 and placed the dvtcs in that vlan.  When I showed the mac address table, I showed both dvtcs in VLAN 400.  On the router, I created the new sub-interface for VLAN 400 and move the dvtc gateway there.  When I showed the arp table, I showed the dvtc gateway in both VLAN 100 and 400 and both dvtcs were still in VLAN 100

As a follow-up, I did a clear arp on my router and now the two dvtcs do not appear in the arp table.  I do show the gateway address showing VLAN 400.

I was just about to post for you to clear the arp.

So, it is working now?

I am not able to ping the dvtcs.

I do see the gateway address showing in VLAN 400.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card