Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509 SUP720-3B goes in remmon

ahmed fahmy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am facing a problem with a cisco 6509 SUP720-3B that goes into rommon every time i restart. i tried these commands:

rommon 1 > IP_ADDRESS=<ip address of router interface>

rommon 2> IP_SUBNET_MASK=<subnet mask for the above IP>

rommon 3 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=<default gateway for router (can be same as TFTP server IP)>

rommon 4 > TFTP_SERVER=<IP address of TFTP server>

rommon 5 > TFTP_FILE=<name of IOS to be used for bootup (including the .bin extension)>

rommon 6> tftpdnld –r

but the switch gives me "cannot find tftpdnld  command", any advice or workaround can i do for this case ?

5 Replies 5

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Was this working fine before?

Dont you have boot file under bootflash or compact flash?

If there is compact flash then boot the box using the ios stored there and do the upgrade if needed?

HTH

Regards

Inayath

the problem here is the boot file is deleted from bootflash and the switch can not detect the flash(slot0: or disk0:) so i ask if there another way or workaround to copy the boot file directly to the bootflash or to make the switch boot from the compact flask?

i don not know why the switch can not detect the compact flash in rommon mode even though it was able to detect the flash when it was on enable mode ?!!!!

Its a slow process, but you can use xmodem to transfer the file.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6000-series-switches/17050-14.html

ahmed fahmy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently acquired a WS-SUP720-3BXL Supervisor for a Cisco 6509 chassis, but have huge problems getting out of rommon mode.

When the Supervisor boots it loads IOS, but makes a "Software forced reload" due to unknown chassis error - then it goes to rommon mode.. 

I downloaded a 12.2SR based image for the SUP720-3BXL, but cannot get it onto the supervisor in anyway via rommon. 

Here's the methods in Rommon/Bootstrap 7.7(1) to get it running on new image, and what problems I have encountered : 

1. Insert compact flash into disk0: or disk1: and load IOS from there
- Does not read any of my Compact Flash cards. Comes with error : 
dir disk0:
device does not contain a valid magic number
dir: cannot open device "disk0:"
- I tried formatting with FAT16 from my laptop and copy the image file to the compact flash. It didn't work for SUP720-3BXL, but is readable on a RSP720-3CXL supervisor.
- I tried formatting compact flash from RSP720-3CXL supervisor, and download image to compact flash via tftp. Still same error.
- I tried 2 different compact flashes, and both works perfectly on a RSP720-3CXL supervisor.

2. Confreg Supervisor to boot "the image boot helper"
- The image boot helper can only load on Cisco 6500 chassis

3. Boot via TFTP
- I can set the IP_ADDRESS=X.X.X.X, IP_SUBNETMASK=255.255.255.0 etc parameters, but cannot get Ethernet connectivity to the Supervisor. I tried bot port 1 and port 2 on the supervisor, and get link on both ports. Command "boot image-name.bin x.x.x.x" seems to work, but I don't recieve any traffic on the tftp server. Also I can't see the cisco routers mac in the arp-table of the tftp server (they are in same subnet).
- I read TFTP boot is not supported for SUP720, although I can set the parameters. 
- Command tftpdnld does not exist

4. Xmodem download
- Havent tried because it's to risky
- Format's, and erases bootflash before xmodem download.
- Bootflash size is unknown, but is propably 64mb which is to small for a 12.2SR image (100mb+)
- If Xmodem crashes in the 10 hours transfer, bootflash will be empty

Anyone has an idea how to get this SUP720-3BXL running IOS 12.2SR? :O

I'm about to order an original compact flash for the SUP720-3BXL (MEM-C6K-CPTFL512M=), but it costs a fortune compared to other Compact flash!

Does anyone have any kind of idea what to do? I don't have access to a 6500 chassis, which is the only solution I can think of.

Take a look at the following link.

Not sure if it will help, but...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/14086/device-does-not-contain-valid-magic-number-error-message-displays-cisco-catalyst-6500

Hope this helps...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: