Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Assignment Tool and Extension Mobility association

Yorick Petey
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

For a long time we was waiting for a collab utility that makes setting the Owner User ID field on a Phone profile easy. That is required to prepare a CUCM configuration and align with the UCL or CUWL licensing models.

"Device Assignment Tool" has been released in March and that is great news! But, it seems this tool is not able to associate the Phones with Users based on a rule "Currently logged in User with Extension Mobility" and that is very disappointing...

I think this scenario is very frequent. You have all hardware phones with generic configuration and EM service enabled, and End User UDP profiles as well as CSF for Jabber. With the way the license requirements are calculated, we have to associate the IP phones with the users, even if the phones are not "owned" by the users, because Extension Mobility. This does not make sense but if we don't do that, double of licenses are consumed because of the CSF+the unassociated phones.

The tool could be helpful to achieve this association but apparently it's not possible to make a rule where the dynamic EM association is used to set the owner user id, and it's just too bad.

Would that be possible to improve the tool in that way?

Thank you.

Yorick

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Engage with you account team to submit this as a PER

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

edinzukic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Yorick,

Do you have any new information regarding this licensing issue. I have the same problem now.

Regards,

Edin

Hi Edin,

Unfortunately, it seems that this tool still does not include a way to automatically assign OwnerID based on EM. I did it by mixing the Reporting webpage of the CUCM and this tool for applying the assignment. It's not plug and play but...