Views
Helpful
Replies

AS-Prepend Vs Community Strings

jeff robins
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

We have two ISP connections and we are advertising our public networks out both. ISP #1, we are not doing any as-prepending, but ISP#2 we are prepending out advertised network. Based on this we would assume all incoming traffic would be coming thru ISP#1, but its not, all inbound traffic is coming in on ISP#2.

I reached out to our ISP and he they said, "AS path prepending is not a reliable method for route selection on the internet. Generally we recommend using community values to communicate a route's priority instead"

Can someone please explain why as-prepending is not the reliable anymore?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

kevin.blackburn
Level 4
Level 4

Check out this page: http://hackingcisco.blogspot.com/2011/04/lab-100-bgp-hidden-feature-bestpath-as.html

It could just be that your ISP is ignoring the AS path (with your prepended AS numbers). Essentially they are receiving it and installing the route as if you never did an AS prepend at all.

*Rate if you found this post helpful!

Hello

@jeff robins wrote:

Guys,

We have two ISP connections and we are advertising our public networks out both. ISP #1, we are not doing any as-prepending, but ISP#2 we are prepending out advertised network. Based on this we would assume all incoming traffic would be coming thru ISP#1, but its not, all inbound traffic is coming in on ISP#2.

I reached out to our ISP and he they said, "AS path prepending is not a reliable method for route selection on the internet. Generally we recommend using community values to communicate a route's priority instead"

Can someone please explain why as-prepending is not the reliable anymore?

Thanks

My understanding is both can be negated by upstream ISP's is the need arose but i suppose because Pre-pending can be lost if the other ISP aggregates your prefix to an upstream peer communities are more of a preferred way to perform path selection with ISPs

Pre-pending manipulates the as-path attribute so its appended to the as-sequence of the bgp update it advertises to its neighboring peer/asn, but from thereon this information could be lost

Communities on the other hand can be group of prefixes /aggregates put together so that your isp has the option/derision on how to deal with these prefixes.

Unlike the aggregation that can lose the origin of the route, if the same aggregate was marked within a community then it would have its own path attribute (community) it could rely on.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: