cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What should I do about broken SFP ports?

rweir0001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a port channel configured between a Cisco WS-C3850-48T  and a Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series switch. A couple of days ago two of the ports went down on the C3850 and I traced the problem to the SFP ports on the 2960. I tried plugging the cable into all four of those SPF ports (with the other end connected to the C3850) but the port light doesn't come on at all. I have eliminated the possibility of a bad cable or SFP transceiver because I can plug it into the SFP ports of other switches without an issue. Essentially, it looks like a hardware issue on the switch and I'm not sure how to handle it because unplugging everything from the switch and returning it isn't really a viable option.

Has anyone else had issues with SFP ports? And if so, how did you handle it?

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

My experience either you replace the faulty equipment or you live with the broken port(s).

Of course, if you have a soldering iron, a logic analyzer, and don't mind voiding any still valid warranties, I guess you can try to repair it yourself.  ;)

Haha. Thanks. Those do seem like the only two options but I was hoping for some magical cure because I don't like either one of them. 

hi,

there's a professional kit to clean SFP and fibre optics but if you want a cheap fix, try to clean the SFP contacts (can also try to fibre optic cable tips) with a cotton swab/q-tip and damp of rubbing/isopropopyl alcohol.

Thanks. If the issue happens again I'll look in to doing that.

Hi rweir0001, 

Before you assume the SFP ports are faulty, have you looked under the interface of the SFP ports. 

It could be a spanning-tree or port security issue. This could be causing the ports to enter an err-disabled mode. This would explain why the ports work again after a switch reboot. 

If you run into the same problem try running the following command(Note I am currently at home so have run the command from packet-tracer. But you will see a similar output)

Switch#sh interfaces gigabitEthernet 0/1

As you can see from the below it says "line protocol is down" then "(disabled)"

If you have a port violation this may say "(Err-disabled)" or on the newer 2960Xs some other helpful information. 

GigabitEthernet0/1 is down, line protocol is down (disabled)

Hardware is Lance, address is 0001.63dd.ce19 (bia 0001.63dd.ce19)

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Half-duplex, 1000Mb/s

input flow-control is off, output flow-control is off

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input 00:00:08, output 00:00:05, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters never

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue :0/40 (size/max)

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

956 packets input, 193351 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 956 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort

0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

2357 packets output, 263570 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 10 interface resets

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

If you are getting port violations, I would look at the show logging command and see what is causing the port to hit a violation. 

Just my two cents woth! 

HTH, 

Kind Regards,

Liam

That's great advice, Liam, thanks! I'll take that into consideration if the problem resurfaces.

No problem at all! :) Also you mentioned you had the SFPs in a Port-Channel. So I would also look under the Po interface :) 

Fingers crossed the problem doesn't re-surface. 

Kind Regards,

Liam

Cool. Thanks.

rweir0001
Level 1
Level 1

I resolved the issue by reloading the affected 2960 switch and the SPF ports started functioning again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card