Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Assign Switch Port to VLAN

I recently purchased my first Cisco 3750 24 port switch (2006)  This is a first for me .... I have consoled into the switch and am using PuTTy for the CLI. 

I have gotten along very well creating the hostname, VLAN, security, etc.  Up until I attempt to assign a switch port to the new VLAN. I continue (even after several resets) to get an annoying error that I cannot figure out.

switch(config) #int fa0/24

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

The marker shows under the '0' 

What am I doing wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Hobbs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Richard.

Your comment about "under the 0" caused me to wonder if the physical interface is not "fa0x" but is fa1/x. In other words, IOS is rejecting the 0. All ports/interfaces aren't numbers fa0/[port_number].

show ip interface brief 

displays the interfaces on the switch, including VLAN interfaceses if configured. The output also shows Line/Protocol status and other helpful info.

Also, by default, all interfaces are access ports in VLAN 1.

HTH. I'll keep an eye here to see how it goes for you.

John Hobbs
Houston, TX USA
- a Friendly American

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What does a "sh ip int br" show ?

Jon

It shows my VLAN, IP-address, YES manual up

It should also be showing all the physical ports on the switch.

Are you saying it isn't ?

Jon

Yes, it is, plus Vlan1 as well as my new Vlan

So have you tried any of the other physical ports ?

Jon

Sorry, I am not following you. I am wireless to the router/switch and was thinking that if I assigned a switch port to my vlan that I could 'ping' the ip address.  Am I thinking wrong?

The switch is connected to my router at port #15

Perhaps I am not understanding what the problem is.

You said originally that you couldn't configure an interface so I just meant have you tried configuring a different interface on the switch.

I get the feeling I am not actually understanding your question ?

Jon

I want to assign port #15 to my vlan at ip address 192.168.***.* so that I can remotely manage my switch .....

When I attempt to configure it using switch(config)# int fa0/15 I get the error that I described above .... maybe I need to go back & review the training video that I was walking through, but I thought that I had it correct as described in my original post.

Okay, there is nothing wrong with the command you are trying to enter as long as that physical port exists on your switch.

Are you sure the ports are not gigabit ports ?

Jon

I have a total of 26 ports, #25-26 are the gigabit ports.

Could it be that I need to update the IOS?

Let me work with it some more & into tomorrow.  I have an appointment in 15mins and need to break away.

Thanks so much for taking an interest in my issue. If I get it resolved, I will post to that effect.

Richard . . .

John Hobbs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Richard.

Your comment about "under the 0" caused me to wonder if the physical interface is not "fa0x" but is fa1/x. In other words, IOS is rejecting the 0. All ports/interfaces aren't numbers fa0/[port_number].

show ip interface brief 

displays the interfaces on the switch, including VLAN interfaceses if configured. The output also shows Line/Protocol status and other helpful info.

Also, by default, all interfaces are access ports in VLAN 1.

HTH. I'll keep an eye here to see how it goes for you.

John Hobbs
Houston, TX USA
- a Friendly American

You nailed it jvhobbs!  It was switch(config) #int fa1/0/15 ..... thank you so much.

Richard . . .

Great! The show ip interface brief command is among the first I run after connecting to a switch or router. Provides a good overview of device.

Thanks for the update.

John

John Hobbs
Houston, TX USA
- a Friendly American
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card