Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A9K-MPA-8X10GE Linecard OIR

Alex/Cisco,

I am planning to install the A9K-MPA-8X10GE in ASR9k-MOD80 mother linecard and the box is running IOS-XR version 5.1.1. Curiously someone suggested to upgrade the SMU before installing the card above. I digged on Cisco forums and I am not able to find any background info that led to this recommendation. 

I am pretty confident that the only thing needed after the card is installed is to apply to use the advanced IP features. Please advise if I am missing something here.

Thanks,

Jean-Marie

6 Replies 6

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi JM,

oops that is not going to work... the MOD80 has 2 NPU's, one per bay.

the NPU can drive 45Mpps (per direction) and 60G. the 8x10 requires more BW then the NPU can handle. The MOD80 can't use the 2x40G and the 8x10G MPA's, for which you need the MOD160 that has 2 NPU's per bay.

regards

xander

Great. So those cards are oversubscribed NPU-wise ? Is there any PIE files recommended to be installed besides the mini and the security packages ?

Thanks,

J-M

Correct JM and that is why they wont work in the MOD80.

for the 8x10 MPA you'll need the MOD160, or take 2 4x10 MPA's for the MOD80.

regards!

xander

Regarding the MOD160 how many 2x40GE cards can I house there ?

You can put 2 MPA's of 2x40G in the MOD160, so you'll have 4 total.

cheers!

xander

Can A9K-MPA-8X10GE work in ASR9k-MOD80 in restricted mode? for example only 4-ports will be used?
Is it possible? or It's not supported at all?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: