Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9k - view mac address table question

9k folks...

is there a cute command to see the mac address table per bridge domain WITH all line cards?   that is to say, not per line card?

sho l2vpn forwarding bridge domain BD_Group:domain mac-address location 0/2/cpu0   

works but when our bd spans multiple line cards it is potentially arduous to up arrow and repeat many times.    there is no * or all option on my 9ks running ios xr 5.2.0

if anyone knows a neat trick here i'd certainly appreciate it!  

thanks in advance,

tricia

8 Replies 8

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi tricia,

the mac table is sent to every npu on every linecard in the whole system, whether they need it or not. so technically by looking at one linecard you have seen it from all.

unless you suspect a mismatch between 2 LC's there is generally no need to pull the mac table from the different LC's as they are all the same (or should be ;)

though from experience I can say that I have not seen an issue with linecards mac tables out of sync in all the years I have been doing asr9k/xr...

cheers

xander

Hi Xander!  :)

you rock, as always.

the request came from folks who troubleshoot and were looking for an easy-cheesy way to identify a single mac (yikes) when on the line with the customer.    grep-ing for it may make them happy, but they are coming from alcatel equipment where they had it easier for this feature, surely not for anything else.   

thanks very much!

hey tricia! thanks! :) ah you know I totally recognize that requirement and we're doing something about it. some show enhancements will show up soon. I need to look up the ddts for you for tracking, but just to know that we are trying to see how to make this easier.

so yeah for now the pipe grep is the best bet for now indeed.

cheers

xander

I spoke with one of the guys in my team, Aleks, who had been driving that effort and this is what he gave me:

CSCus85346

If you want to dump a single MAC address:

sh controllers np struct L2FIB search key <key> np4 location <location>

Where the key is:

MAC address (without separating characters) + BD_id_hex

Key: BD_id_hex is the bridge domain ID converted to hex and byte swapped
   E.g.:
   BD   1 ==> key == 0100
   BD   8 ==> key == 0800
   BD  27 ==>  hex(27) ==  0x1B == 0x001B ==> key == 1B00
   BD 563 ==> hex(563) == 0x233 == 0x0233 ==> key == 3302

so not that user friendly today, but definitely something that can be scripted and we'll simplify!

xander

oh what a good work-around!   this will make them sort-of happy!  :)

thanks very much Xander - the folks are very happy with the 9k, just wanted a few items to make them happier! 

tricia

yeah it is the next best thing right? :) working on the simplification of course, follow the ddts for integration.

nice to hear, great to hear, I'll help you keeping folks happy :)

you be there in San Diego in June?

cheers!

xander

thank you again Xander!   :)

i can not attend this year.   too many road trips lately

i'll be with you in spirit!   cheers! 

Xander,

RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:ASR9K#show l2vpn forwarding summary location 0/0/CPU0 | in total macs
Number of total macs: 12471
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:ASR9K#
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:ASR9K#show l2vpn forwarding summary location 0/1/CPU0 | in total macs
Number of total macs: 12830
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:ASR9K#show l2vpn forwarding summary location 0/3/CPU0 | in total macs
Number of total macs: 12728
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:ASR9K#show l2vpn forwarding summary location 0/4/CPU0 | in total macs
Number of total macs: 12887
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:ASR9K#show l2vpn forwarding summary location 0/5/CPU0 | in total macs
Number of total macs: 12856
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:ASR9K#show l2vpn forwarding summary location 0/6/CPU0 | in total macs
Number of total macs: 12697
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:ASR9K#show l2vpn forwarding summary location 0/7/CPU0 | in total macs
Number of total macs: 12600

Should I expect each LC to have the same number of MACS?

Thanks,

Charlie

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: