Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE bandwidth restriction.

I've setup a GRE tunnel between two offices running Cisco 2801 128/64 "c2801-entbasek9-mz.150-1.XA3.bin". The GRE is passing through a VPN between 2 ASA5520's. I've decreased the MTU to 1476.  The connection is solid, however I can not get more then 3Mbps through this GRE.  I've verified the Bandwidth using iperf and large file transfer.  After researching this it appears that the GRE is restricted to 8000kbps on the IOS I am running. To increase the bandwidth  I would  need to upgrade to "Advanced IP services" 384/128. But, before I purchase memory for these routers, can someone confirm that I will in fact be able to increase the through put over the GRE once I have upgraded the routers?  From my research the "bandwidth command" only adjust the advertised rate to higher protocols OSPF,EIGRP for path decisions.  Unless you upgrade the memory and run the "Advanced IP Service" IOS, then the bandwidth will actually be increase through the GRE tunnel.  Can anyone confirm that this is true?

8 Replies 8

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What's the 2801s' CPU usage look like during your max transfer tests?

Edwin Matos
Level 1
Level 1

You are correct on the bandwidth command, this is only to influence your routing protocols as well as QOS, but no to manage the usable bandwidth of the interface .

Have you try communication between site without the GRE? like ftp transfer just to make sure it is not the GRE.

You can achieve that via below command:

tunnel bandwidth

To set the transmit bandwidth used by the tunnel interface, use the tunnelbandwidth command in interface configuration mode. To restore the default setting, use the no form of this command.

tunnelbandwidth { receive | transmit } bandwidth

notunnelbandwidth

Syntax Description

receive

Specifies the bandwidth to be used to receive packets through the tunnel.

Note

This keyword is no longer used and will be removed in future releases.

transmit

Specifies the bandwidth to be used to send packets through the tunnel.

bandwidth

Bandwidth, in kbps. Range is from 0 to 2147483647. Default is 8000.

Command Default

8000 kbps

Command Modes

Interface configuration

Command History

Release

Modification

12.3(7)T

This command was introduced.

Usage Guidelines

Use the tunnelbandwidth command to specify the capacity of the satellite link.

Examples

The following example shows how to set the satellite tunnel bandwidth to 1000 kbps for transmitting packets using Rate Based Satellite Control Protocol:

Router(config)# interface tunnel 0
Router(config-if)# tunnel bandwidth transmit 1000

You are also correct that at least Advance IP Services version is needed . But truly speeking, I havn't tested this in a production network.

Vivek

You can achieve that via below command

Vivek,

what exactly do you think you can achieve with that command? AFAIK this command is only relevant for something called the "RBSCP (Rate Based Satellite Control Protocol)". The tunnel bandwidth command seems to be somewhat underdocumented, perhaps you can provide with some new information?

---

I never configured a GRE tunnel between 2801s but between 3825s some time ago. Based on that experience I would expect at least 10 times more than your 3 Mbps. Of course this software-based routers are limited (Joseph asked for good reasons what the CPU looks like), but 3 Mbps seems to be much to low.

What about fragmentation? Remember that TCP MSS is negotiated only between the endsystems (transparent to intermediate routers) and that GRE doesn't copy the DF-bit of the original IP headers  into the GRE "transport header" by default. Have you tried if smaller MTUs in Iperf and perhaps UDP instead of TCP show better results?

HTH

Rolf

Rolf,

Pretty good point there MTU.

IP MTU 1400

IP TCP AD 1360

Check with these setup and lower or increase them with 40 bytes of difference.

I know you used iPerf, but when I don't have any other tool you can get robocopy with MT option to copy multiple files at time and check the usage again ( MT will open 8 stream at the same time ).

BTW, I'm sure both of you internet connection have more than 3M of upstream. Remember most of the time you received way much more download than upload. Just checking.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Rolf, mentions a good point, that GRE tunnels don't copy original packet's DF by default.  Also, by default, they don't notify the sender if their DF bit is set and fragmentation is needed.  Both can be addressed by enabling PMTUD on the tunnel interface.

For a GRE tunnel, optimal IP MTU is generally MTU less 24 bytes.  (Your 100 less is Cisco's suggestion for IPSec, which has much more overhead.)

Adjust MSS is generally recommended as IP MTU less 40, for standard size IP and TCP headers, but keep in mind either or both headers can be larger than their minimal 20.  (Another reason to enable PMTUD.)

BTW, why are you using OSPF broadcast on a p2p tunnel?

Thanks for all your input. It looks like I'll have to open a case with TAC to see if they can be more forthcoming about GRE bandwidth.  

The short explanation I have found goes something like this:  A GRE Tunnel  is a virtual interface and only exists in memory and cpu with no real physical characteristics, so the tunnel performance is limited by those resources on the device.  Bigger routers have better performance.  Cisco limited GRE speed on smaller devices like my 2801 so the device would not be overwhelmed. Hence I would need to upgrade memory and then run an IOS that unlocks this feature.

Also I did apply the command you prescribed Vivek, however it only changes the speed in the show interface command and I presume what bandwidth it report up to routing protocols i.e. OSPF, EIGRP for path selection.

The link is over Verizon FIOS at both locations with the lower speed side being 50Meg.

interface Tunnel10
 description GRE_To_CPN2
 ip address 172.16.15.1 255.255.255.252
 ip mtu 1400
 ip tcp adjust-mss 1360
 ip ospf network broadcast
 ip ospf 100 area 0
 keepalive 10 3
 tunnel source FastEthernet0/1/0
 tunnel destination 172.16.5.14
end

I have seem some test with GRE tunnel with the same situation you have. I will post print screens as soon as I can but the result was even though you read the 8000 mbps the interface statistics at the bottom was giving us 2x mbps.

You need a no ip ospf network broadcast on both end.

If this generate a flap just do a IP ospf mtu-ignore and check the timers setups.

As Rolf stated there's no need for broadcast, just check mtu and timers if this bring you any problems after removin it at both end of tunnel.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card