Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet C1600 MIC Errors

ciaran.murphy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I'm having and unusual issues with a pair of AIR-SAP1602I-E-K9 units that I cannot explain. 

I have 2 sites, SiteA & SiteB

I have 2 WAP unit types 1142 and 1602

On site A both WAP unit types work perfectly without issues.

On Site B only the 1142 WAP types work. The 1602 Units constantly complain about MIC errors. see attached log file. Following the MIC errors on site B I returned the 1602s to Site A on multiple occasions and in each case once the 1602 was returned to Site A it worked perfectly.

has anyone seen this before? I spoke with another one of our engineers and he mentioned he also saw the exact behavior at another site in a different country but was never able to find a solution.

The symptoms are that the 1602 begins broadcasting the 2 SSIDs, users are able to connect immediately for about a minute then the Radio is shut by the MIC errors.

I have tried setting the MIC timeout value to 0 but it does not make any difference. 

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ciarán

3 Replies 3

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Mruphy,

WPA works well with Tkip and WPA2 with aes-ccm. So use one of them.

dot11 ssid Intranet
   vlan 2
   authentication open eap eap_methods
   authentication key-management wpa
   mbssid guest-mode dtim-period 1
!
interface Dot11Radio0
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
 shutdown
 !
  no encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip
 !
 encryption vlan 2 mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip

use only this command under Radio Interface:

encryption vlan 2 mode ciphers  tkip

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hi Sandeep,

thank you for your reply. I appreciate your comments but I am successfully using this config on may sites across multiple countries without any issue. but these 2 devices I purchased will not work on this particular site. I am more curious as to the reason I am getting these MIC errors in the first place. 

Hi,

Its not recommended to mix AES and TKIP. If you call Cisco, first thing they will say is to stop that. They recommend AES for WPA2 and TKIP if you need WPA.

I am not sure why only these 2 devices are creating problem but you could change the above setting and try it.

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: