cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple query - which router do i need ?

8acdc9441
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All. All of the time that i've had broadband, i've always had problems with routers. They always need resetting to revitalise the connection & they usually only last a year or two before they stop working completely. 
I've had the ones supplied by the providor (sky,bt etc...) and had several netgear ones too. Cheap ones and expensive ones. They all play up the same. 
I want to buy a business/industrial spec rack mount router to use at home, but i don't know which to get. 
Incidentally - i want a low cost second hand one to keep the cost down. 
My broadband is ADSL2+ and i'd like it to be Gigabit lan and wifi. 
From looking at what there is available, it seems to me that you choose the router/switch, then add on a modem and a wifi card. 

What do i need to buy ? Model numbers please. 

Thanks for your help :-)

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is your budget?

I don't want to pay new prices, so as cheap as possible, as long as it'll do the job. 
Second hand rack mount routers can be got for as little as £10 so i'd be happy to pay up to around £50 for the setup that i need. Maybe a bit more if need be. 
Is that being a bit optimistic ?

£50

£50 for an enterprise-grade DSL router?  I don't think you'll find anything close to this price.  Maybe Linksys (now owned by Belkin) but not Cisco.

As i said in original post - i'm asking for model numbers. When somebody is kind enough to let me know what works with what, i can look into what i can get to suit whatever budget i feel like spending at the time. 
It's amazing what bargains can be had on ebay. Absolute bargains :-)

Budget is irrelevant. See original post!

8acdc9441
Level 1
Level 1

What i'm asking for is "Model numbers" as requested in original post. So prices and budgets are completely irrelevant. 

Model numbers of the lowest cost items to build up a gigabit ADSL2+ wireless router. Rack mountable as i intend to stack other units on top.

That is all :-)

RON ROYSTON
Level 1
Level 1

smallest rack mount is 1921.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78-598389.html

chrisjohn93
Level 1
Level 1

According to your need and requriment I Suggest you, Router 1900 Series

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: