Helpful
Replies

Internet Access via MGMT port of ASA5545-X

fatalXerror
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Experts,

Good Day!

I have an infrastructure which has ASA5545-X and this firewall has CX enabled and needs to communicate over the internet for the updates. May I know how can I direct my MGMT port to have an internet access, I cannot have a default route because it will conflict to the existing default route for the users who wants to access the internet.

Also, I can't do FTP from my laptop going to the MGMT port of the ASA and I don't know why, I already tried to disable the command "management-only" but my ASA is not permitting to remove it.

Please help.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The Management-Port of the 5545-X can't be configured as a data-port like on older ASAs. It's always "management-only".

The easy way to configure it is:

1) only use the management-port for the CX-module and manage the ASA through the inside interface.

2) Connect the management-port to the inside network (that's why the ASA itself won't have an IP on m0/0) and configure CX with an IP from the inside network. Point the CX-default-route to your L3-switch in the inside-network or to the inside-IP of the ASA if you don't have an internal L3-switch.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

The Management-Port of the 5545-X can't be configured as a data-port like on older ASAs. It's always "management-only".

The easy way to configure it is:

1) only use the management-port for the CX-module and manage the ASA through the inside interface.

2) Connect the management-port to the inside network (that's why the ASA itself won't have an IP on m0/0) and configure CX with an IP from the inside network. Point the CX-default-route to your L3-switch in the inside-network or to the inside-IP of the ASA if you don't have an internal L3-switch.

Hi Karsten,

Good Day!

How about the updates of the CX, it can pass through the inside network?

Thanks

Yes, CX is connected to the ASA-inside-network. The default-gateway of CX has to point to a next-hop that can reach the rest of the network. That should be the case with the connected IP of the inside L3-switch. If there is no L3-switch, the ASA-inside interface would be the next-hop for CX-traffic.

You have to think about the CX as an individual host on the network that has it's own settings.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card