cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Software to run CiscoSX 20 H.323 device for VC

amith.nair1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a static IP to set up and do a VC.

Since Jabber is now on EOL, what are the other softwares that I can look forward to run Cisco-SX20 H.323 device for VC?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Please note  you are only affected by this if you are using "free" JabberVideo which uses the domain jabber.com, if you are using "enterprise" JabberVideo, which is rolled out and managed by your organisation, then you can continue to use this until your organisation decides otherwise.

There is no free replacements for "free" JabberVideo, so if this is in fact what you are using, well, then you'll have to consider paying for as service.

Yes, Cisco Spark is free, but it does not support calls to/from other devices and/or clients.

Polycom RealPresence Desktop has a 30 day fully functional trial offer, you'll have to purchase a licence if you wish to continue using this after 30 days though.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

View solution in original post

No, the "free" JabberVideo service is/was hosted by Cisco and provisioned by them, there was never any licenses as such. So once they terminate the service itself, then that's the end of it.

"Enterprise" version is the one requiring licenses, but it also requires the hardware to go with it, at the minimum a VCS-E starterpack, or VCS-C and TMS as you have to provision and deploy this yourself. This becomes rather expensive if all you want is the once licence.

So, in your case, this really isn't an option.

/jens

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Amith,

Let me move this post to Telepesence community so you get TP experts' attention. This community is for Cisco Unified MeetingPlace and Cisco WebEx Meetings Server products.

I hope this will get you to the solution faster.

Kind regards,

-Dejan

Oh okay, thank you for sorting it. 

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

Jabber isn't H.323, but a SIP client. If you mean the "free" JabberVideo service, hosted by Cisco, then this has been extended to November 20th for existing users.

This thread in the JabberVideo forum may also be of help; https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12428801/which-replacement-product-shall-i-now-use

/jens

Thanks Jens,

What after November? Is there any other similar to Jabber that I can search now?

Please note  you are only affected by this if you are using "free" JabberVideo which uses the domain jabber.com, if you are using "enterprise" JabberVideo, which is rolled out and managed by your organisation, then you can continue to use this until your organisation decides otherwise.

There is no free replacements for "free" JabberVideo, so if this is in fact what you are using, well, then you'll have to consider paying for as service.

Yes, Cisco Spark is free, but it does not support calls to/from other devices and/or clients.

Polycom RealPresence Desktop has a 30 day fully functional trial offer, you'll have to purchase a licence if you wish to continue using this after 30 days though.

/jens

So in licensed category, which all softwares are compatible with SX-20 module?

In terms of Jabber, of what you said, if the contract ends, can I still renew it and extend my license to years? As far as I saw the deadlines of EOL, the support is gona go first, then the product in a year or two.

Which version are you using; "free" jabber.com or "enterprise" ? There's a big difference between the two as far as being able to use it after November 20th or not, including being able to migrate from JabberVideo to Jabber or not.

/jens

I am using a freeware Jabber where i cannot add any more user and only existing users can use it until Nov.

I am planning to get a licensed one and add more users to "the" software compatible for Sx-20.

"The" is what I am searching now.

I see, in that case it all depends on licensing costs and if you want more functionalities than just H.323 and SIP support.

All of the ones listed above, apart from Spark, will work with the SX20, licensing costs will vary from vendor to vendor and some might not provide single user licences.

A good place to start would be the Polycom RealPresence Desktop client, you will at least get 30 days of full functionality which should give you a better idea of how well it meets your requirements.

And yes, once a product has gone EOL/EOS, there is normally a five year period before it becomes obsolete, but that does not apply to the free JabberVideo service.

/jens

So make it an ease, is it possible for me to buy a licensed Jabber now and make it work for lets say 4-5 years? rather finding another one?

No, the "free" JabberVideo service is/was hosted by Cisco and provisioned by them, there was never any licenses as such. So once they terminate the service itself, then that's the end of it.

"Enterprise" version is the one requiring licenses, but it also requires the hardware to go with it, at the minimum a VCS-E starterpack, or VCS-C and TMS as you have to provision and deploy this yourself. This becomes rather expensive if all you want is the once licence.

So, in your case, this really isn't an option.

/jens

Oh okay. So Polycom RealPresence Desktop client, with 30 days of full functionality should be better idea. Is that what you are trying to convey?

Just got a demonstration on Spontania. It seemed good, but I would rather need options to choose which one is better overall.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: