cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error writing configuration file (Undefined error)

Nek Admin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We have a lot of access points, which cannot backup configs to TFTP, if I specify $t environment variable in filename string.

These settings result in failure:

archive
 path tftp://172.16.0.10/$h$t
 write-memory

N0010# wr
Building configuration...
[OK]
%Error opening tftp://172.16.0.10/N0010-Mar--2-06:19:53.187-1 (Undefined error)

If I don't, it works:

archive
 path tftp://172.16.0.10/$h
 write-memory

N0010# wr
Building configuration...
[OK]

What is wrong with the $t variable?

On some devices, it works.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I do not believe you can actually modify the string that will be used in place of $t. If you are running your TFTP server on Windows and NTFS then the colon character can truly be a source of problems - using it would actually cause the server to create a so-called NTFS Alternate Data Stream - see the link for details. Theoretically, if your TFTP server can be configured to mangle file names so that it replaces the colons with a different character, this could solve your problem. Linux-based TFTP servers usually do not have problems with colons in file names. Running Linux (even in a virtual machine) with a suitable TFTP server can also be a solution.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Try with:

archive

path tftp://172.16.0.10/$h-$t

write-memory

hi,

Still getting this error.

I'm supposing that the colons in the filename are the problem - tftp server says "illegal character in path, transmission failed"

On other access point, it is ok, the filename is N0011-Sep-11-06-57-28.579-1, whothout colons.

Is there a way to remove colons?

Hi,

I do not believe you can actually modify the string that will be used in place of $t. If you are running your TFTP server on Windows and NTFS then the colon character can truly be a source of problems - using it would actually cause the server to create a so-called NTFS Alternate Data Stream - see the link for details. Theoretically, if your TFTP server can be configured to mangle file names so that it replaces the colons with a different character, this could solve your problem. Linux-based TFTP servers usually do not have problems with colons in file names. Running Linux (even in a virtual machine) with a suitable TFTP server can also be a solution.

Best regards,
Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card