cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Only VLAN 1 get access to the WAN on RV130

Villy Feltmann
Level 1
Level 1

MY setup is as follow: 1 RV130 router, 1 unmanaged POE switch connected to port 1 on the RV130, 2 WAP321 accesspoints connected to 2 ports on the unmanaged switch.

My goal is to have a work network and a guest network both with access to the internet but separated from each other. I have setup 2 VLANs VLAN1 (work) and VLAN3 (guest) on both WAP321 and RV130. VLAN3 is tagged on all ports at RV130 and VLAN1 is untagged on all ports. Inter VLAN is unchecked.

I don't get access to wan/internet on VLAN3 with the setup as above. what am I doing wrong?

Best regards

Villy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

The issue is going to be your unmanaged switch which sits in between the AP's and the Router.

The router can do 802.1q vlan tagging.
The AP's also can.

The switch is unmanaged, therefore cannot do this.

In order to separate your networks up using Vlans, the layer 2 device that your hosts plug into needs to be capable of 802.1q tagging. 

You need to get a managed switch which is Vlan capable. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

The issue is going to be your unmanaged switch which sits in between the AP's and the Router.

The router can do 802.1q vlan tagging.
The AP's also can.

The switch is unmanaged, therefore cannot do this.

In order to separate your networks up using Vlans, the layer 2 device that your hosts plug into needs to be capable of 802.1q tagging. 

You need to get a managed switch which is Vlan capable. 

ah I thought an unmanaged switch just let all pass whatever VLAN it belongs to. I have added a linksys' LGS308P and added VLAN 3 to it and ticed the guest VLAN choice and now everything work. thanks Devils_advocate.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card