Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS XR CRS3 - Crashed pkg/bin/aipc_proxy

Dumitru Otel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Anybody know  what is the function of this package, crashed today and I can't find something about it...

Can't understand the cause

IOS XR Software, Version 4.3.1

Node          Type              PLIM               State           Config State
------------- ----------------- ------------------ --------------- ---------------
0/1/CPU0      FP40              4-10GbE            IOS XR RUN      PWR,NSHUT,MON
0/3/CPU0      FP-140G           20-10GbE           IOS XR RUN      PWR,NSHUT,MON
0/4/CPU0      FP-140G           20-10GbE           IOS XR RUN      PWR,NSHUT,MON
0/6/CPU0      FP40              4-10GbE            IOS XR RUN      PWR,NSHUT,MON
0/RP0/CPU0    RP(Active)        N/A                IOS XR RUN      PWR,NSHUT,MON
0/RP1/CPU0    RP(Standby)       N/A                IOS XR RUN      PWR,NSHUT,MON

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:May 22 08:20:33.359 : dumper[61]: %OS-DUMPER-4-SIGSEGV : Thread 5 received SIGSEGV - Segmentation Fault
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:May 22 08:20:33.359 : dumper[61]: %OS-DUMPER-4-SIGSEGV_INFO : Accessed BadAddr 0x424501c at PC 0x42036f0. Signal code 1 - SEGV_MAPPER. Address not mapped.
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:May 22 08:20:33.359 : dumper[61]: %OS-DUMPER-4-CRASH_INFO : Crashed pid = 180641887 (pkg/bin/aipc_proxy)
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:May 22 08:20:33.367 : dumper[61]: %OS-DUMPER-5-CORE_FILE_NAME : Core for process pkg/bin/aipc_proxy at /tmp/dumper/aipc_proxy_115.node0_RP0_CPU0.x86.Z on local_node
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:May 22 08:20:33.770 : sysmgr[94]: aipc_proxy(1) (jid 115) (pid 180641887) (fail_count 2) abnormally terminated, restart scheduled
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:May 22 08:20:33.809 : dumper[61]: %OS-DUMPER-5-DUMP_SUCCESS : Core dump success
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:May 22 08:20:37.358 : dumper[61]: %OS-DUMPER-5-CORE_TRANSFER_STATUS : Transfer of Core file from /tmp/dumper/aipc_proxy_115.node0_RP0_CPU0.x86.Z to harddisk:/dumper/aipc_proxy_115.node0_RP0_CPU0.x86.Z on local_node suceeded.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Dumitru Otel
Level 1
Level 1

seems to be a XR BUG ...

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCum52932/?referring_site=bugquickviewclick

Hi,

I would need to see the entire crash file in order to say for sure if you are hitting that bug or not.

As for what aipc_proxy is, it stands for async IPC proxy (IPC being Inter-process
communication).
Basically the proxy part is needed in a distributed architecture for relaying requests
between CPUs on different boards (think LC and RSP CPUs talking). This makes it so
processes don't have to be as aware of where data needs to be forwarded, instead the
aipc_proxy process does it for the process. This helps with scaling processes within the
system.

There is typically no impact caused by these crashes and aip_proxy recovers automatically.

Thanks,

Sam

Hi,

Regarding the bug, please let me know if the only way to verify the bug is looking into the crash file.There seems to be some traceback output in syslog, but is that not enough?

Actually I'm not so familiar with async process of XR so it would be helpful if you could give me some specific processes of it.

Thanks,

Katsu

Hi Katsu,

It depends on the issue, but typically TAC needs to decode the crash stack to verify if a process crash is a particular bug. Sometimes we can go off just the traceback or a few register values without the need for a full decode, but this is rare and the traceback or register values may be different in different versions of XR but still the same crash.

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I occationally see the crash lately and was just wondering how to verify the bug.

Cheers,

Katsu

Dumitru Otel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm not responsible for this issue ...
I was promoted to another function in another division, at the moment I have no access to this device ...
​Thanks !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: