cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

console to router issue

louis.pereira
Level 1
Level 1
brand new 2911 router with blank screen when trying to console in for the first time. Please provide specific details as I am new to routers as well. If there's a better cable to use please recommend. Thank you for all your help
5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

that cable should be fine just make sure the driver is installed for it

here is a specific guide just download putty instead of hyper terminal its free as well

http://www.omnisecu.com/cisco-certified-network-associate-ccna/how-to-use-putty-to-configure-or-monitor-a-cisco-router-or-switch.php

Thank you Mark, I am using Putty with correct configuration settings, not sure why it's given a blank screen.  I can try to re-install the drivers for the cable....

Have you tried another pc to make sure its not your actual comm port itself or tested the access method on another switch/router  in case its the console port on the router  , driver looks ok as it says the same as mine when i check my device settings comm ports

Yes, I was using my Surface Pro 3, then I tried my second desktop and same issue! did not try another switch or router as I have used this cable in the past, but not on these machines.

Should I call support?

Are these pcs your testing on win8 , if they are try an xp machine if you have 1 or win7 , i have found win8 buggy when working with anything Cisco as a lot of things are not supported

If you have an actual pc you should be able to test without the serial adapter and connect the rollover directly to the pc that will rule out your cable but as its joined to your comm port and shows in device manager i would say its good anyway but its a test to rule it out, if your settings are correct and you still cannot access from the pc i would check with TAC , console ports are usually stable and work but they can break

Just suggesting to try another switch as this will rule all your hardware out and point to the actual console unless its an OS issue on pc , because if its working on them it should work on 2911 as console settings are the same throughout the range of switches and routers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: