Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding cisco switches, I don't know when to use switchport mode trunk, is it only used when for example, switch A is connected to switch B or it can also be used for switches connected to routers? I'm still having trouble in configuring switches.

Another question is how can I configure a switch connected to a router with different vlans but can see each other, is it possible?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Another question is how can I configure a switch connected to a router with different vlans but can see each other, is it possible? 

Configuring InterVLAN Routing and ISL/802.1Q Trunking on a Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL/2950 Switch Using an External Router

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

If would be worth having a quick google on the difference between an Access Port and a Trunk Port, there are plenty of people who are a lot better at explaining things than I am :)

Generally a Trunk port is used between switches but can be used to connect a Switch with a Router or even a Switch with a Server. Both devices that you are connecting together need to be capable of 'tagging' packets before then send them across the link. 

Have a read up on Access and Trunk ports and then read up on Untagged and Tagged, if you can get round the concepts then you should understand L2 switching technology a bit better.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A (Cisco) switch trunk allows you to send have multiple VLANs use the port.  (VLANs, excluding native, are tagged so switch can tell them apart.)

On routers, you create a similar port by defining subinterfaces, each subinterface defined to use a certain VLAN tag.

(router) e.g.:

interface FastEthernet0/0
 description to switch trunk
 no ip address

interface FastEthernet0/0.1
 description vlan 1
 encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

interface FastEthernet0/0.45
 description vlan 45
 encapsulation dot1Q 45
 ip address 192.168.45.1 255.255.255.0

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card