Views
Helpful
Replies

Energie Wise Question

tsipoulanis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

The last days i do the design for the new Network in our Company and we use also PoE.
I found a cool feature which called EnergieWise.

I would like to use that feature and create a time_range during the nights and weekends, for powering off the ports.
The point and also my question is, if is possible to power_on again the devices(Cisco and Non_Cisco Phone) during that time range when external or internal call our Cisco and\or Non-Cisco Phone OR when the user of the PoE Phone in that port will try to make a call.

Thank you in advanced,

Thomas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We have 7942G, which means is not possible to set up our ports on Level 1, only in Level 0 which means we can turn off the devices during the time range the offices will be empty. right? 

Ok, here's the "deal" regarding EnergyWise and 79XX phones: 

• 1.  79XX phones will only accept two "levels":  0 (off) or 9 (on); and
  • 2.  Cisco is un-willing to let the 79XX support Level 1 (hibernate) due to financial reasons:  If you want a phone that can support hibernate then you BUY the more expensive models. 

So imagine the scenario that you've got EnergyWise configured and your 79XX is on level 0.  You've got staff working during the time.  Something happens and they need to make an outside call quickly and there is no adequate cell/mobile phone coverage.  They pick up the 79XX phone.  It's dead.  My recommendation is this:  If you have, at least, one phone that doesn't support Level 1, DO NOT play with EnergyWise on the phones.  

basically i am interesting to know for Non-Cisco devices(we have half of network with devices from Astra, 5370ip) and the rest are cisco VoIP. if you know about that device, it should be great. if not, please let me know the protokol or the feature how is called and i will try to find it out.

EnergyWise is an all-CLI Cisco proprietary feature/product with very little/tiny support from decision makers in Cisco.  This is why EnergyWise is not easy to find in the outside market.  Heck, ask some R&S SE about this and they won't be able to give you an answer without jumping into their corporate-laptop and doing some search.  

Cisco has been (unsuccessfully) re-marketing a GUI-version of EnergyWise (called EnergyWise Orchestrator).  The original software is made by a company called Verdiem (now bought by Aptean) and the software is called Verdiem Surveyor.  They have a free 60-day trial if you wish.  I cannot answer whether or not some of  your non-Cisco device will support EnergyWise Level 1 or not.  

What I do know, is that I have EnergyWise enabled in some of my switches and I turn off some of the Cisco DMP outside office hours using EnergyWise (0 and 9).  

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the phone.  EnergyWise has different settings.  One of them is EnergyWise Level 1 and this means "hibernate".  ("0" is off.)

Cisco 79XX phones do not (and will not) support Level 1.  88XX & 99XX can support Level 1.  

So this means that when the phone is in hibernate and someone picks up the phone, the phone will immediately "wake up".

Thank you Leo for the quick respond.

We have 7942G, which means is not possible to set up our ports on Level 1, only in Level 0 which means we can turn off the devices during the time range the offices will be empty. right?

basically i am interesting to know for Non-Cisco devices(we have half of network with devices from Astra, 5370ip) and the rest are cisco VoIP. if you know about that device, it should be great. if not, please let me know the protokol or the feature how is called and i will try to find it out.

Best Regards,

Thomas

Ok, here's the "deal" regarding EnergyWise and 79XX phones: 

• 1.  79XX phones will only accept two "levels":  0 (off) or 9 (on); and
  • 2.  Cisco is un-willing to let the 79XX support Level 1 (hibernate) due to financial reasons:  If you want a phone that can support hibernate then you BUY the more expensive models. 

So imagine the scenario that you've got EnergyWise configured and your 79XX is on level 0.  You've got staff working during the time.  Something happens and they need to make an outside call quickly and there is no adequate cell/mobile phone coverage.  They pick up the 79XX phone.  It's dead.  My recommendation is this:  If you have, at least, one phone that doesn't support Level 1, DO NOT play with EnergyWise on the phones.  

EnergyWise is an all-CLI Cisco proprietary feature/product with very little/tiny support from decision makers in Cisco.  This is why EnergyWise is not easy to find in the outside market.  Heck, ask some R&S SE about this and they won't be able to give you an answer without jumping into their corporate-laptop and doing some search.  

Cisco has been (unsuccessfully) re-marketing a GUI-version of EnergyWise (called EnergyWise Orchestrator).  The original software is made by a company called Verdiem (now bought by Aptean) and the software is called Verdiem Surveyor.  They have a free 60-day trial if you wish.  I cannot answer whether or not some of  your non-Cisco device will support EnergyWise Level 1 or not.  

What I do know, is that I have EnergyWise enabled in some of my switches and I turn off some of the Cisco DMP outside office hours using EnergyWise (0 and 9).  

Hi Leo,

Thank you for you answers, they really helped me.

I can say your infos motivated me really to go forward and try to play a bit in our network with some of our devices. 
I like so much that Technology from the first moment and I find it really intreresting and important for a middle-huge company.
Later I hope to go deeper and find more chances to work with that.

Have a nice day,

Thomas

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts.  :)

I have, after much searching, found this thread, and would like to revive it to get some additional information.

I have a mix of 79xx and 88xx phones on a non cucm system.

Based on your answer, there is no need to finesse the 79xx phones as with only 2 power levels, these can be managed as an entity by the switch.

However, I would like to put some 88xx phones into level 1 (hibernate) which means that I have to set them up as an entity. How is this configured in the SEPCNF.xml - is there an energy wise block, or is this part of vendorconfig? 

I have found some settings in the phone, but cannot see how to set the entity name, domain, or most importantly override.

DEBUG> show energywise entities
recv running config:
domain:     
secret:     

DEBUG> show energywise config

Enabled: false
isWithinPowerOnTime: true
On Time: 00:00 duration till: 14:55:00
Off Time: 24:00 duration till: 00:00:00
Idle Timeout: 60
Sunday: false 
Monday: false 
Tuesday: false 
Wednesday: false 
Thursday: false 
Friday: false 
Saturday: false 
allowEnergyWiseOverrides: false
Power Off Idle Timer running: false
Alerting: false

<EOT>

DEBUG> show energywise status
ew entity svc status: DOWN
ew entity info
      uid                 : 
      current level       : 7

I know that from a cisco point of view, the answer is to use cucm, but I do not have; does anyone have a sample config that they are willing to share? I do not understand why this is so 'hidden" by cisco, particularly when everyone is concerned to reduce energy consumption.

Any help appreciated