cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Software RAID and harddrives visibility in CIMC inventory. I cannot see any of my 2 disks. Right or not?

jan.kazda
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we have got CE500 – VCS (telepresence), which is CISCO UCS C series server. The latest CIMC/Bios update is applied (2.0.3...)

There is no hw raid controller inserted.

Server seems to be OK but when looking into CIMC inventory I cannot see any of my two internal hard disks.

Is this normal or not? This behaviour seems a bit strange to me...

Thanks,

Jan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It is a limitation of the embedded RAID controller and should not be a problem as long as you see your disks during POST and the OS has no issues recognizing the storage.

-Kenny

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

What of server is it? I looked up for CE500 and didn't see anything similar to a UCS (in regards to the form factor)...  Also, does your operating system see the local storage?

-Kenny

Hello, it is this one:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/telepresence-video-communication-server-vcs/data_sheet_c78-626491.html

it has embedded raid controller, the server sees the disks, the server boots, the server works and does what it should do but when you look at the CIMCinventory, there are no disks in the inventory.

And my question is why?

It is a limitation of the embedded RAID controller and should not be a problem as long as you see your disks during POST and the OS has no issues recognizing the storage.

-Kenny

Ok, thanks for your answer.

I went through a lot of technical documents but could not find anything like this. If it is it known behaviour - fine but anyway I am very surprised about it, I would expect to see the disks in the CIMC inventory anyway and not having the ability to put them into some advanced configurations that are possible with HW Raid adapters only. 

One more thing: I connected to CIMC through ssh and did scope chassis - show hdd

and those 2 were shown... so it means CIMC knows about them but does not show them in the GUI... :-)

Thanks for your reply anyway.

Jan

To further explain... it is a limitation of the embedded controller communicating with the CIMC GUI; not trying to accommodate my answer to the problem, but I want to be clear on the reason.  :)

-Kenny

:-). thanks once more.

-jan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card