cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA - ASDM will not launch (Please wait while the certificate information is beeing retrieved)

norsar
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem with a Cisco ASA 5505. ASA 9.0(3) / ASDM 7.4(1).

I did a factory reset, formatted the flash, copied everything from tftp.

Config copied from another ASA. Changed the hostname entries afterwards.

hostname connect

crypto ca trustpoint ASDM_TrustPoint0
  subject-name CN=connect
crypto ca trustpoint ASDM_TrustPoint1
  subject-name CN=connect

ASA works fine, and the Home & Monitoring tabs in the ASDM works, but I am not able to work on the configuration using ASDM :(

When I go to the Configuration tab, I get this message (which stays there for ever):

Please wait while the certificate information is beeing retrieved

I have tried a 'revert webvpn all' and save/reload. Did not help.

Error message and contents of flash - see attached pictures.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

BR,

Nils

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

veramasu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Nils,

Please use the asdm 7.4.2 which has lot of fixes.

Thanks,

VR

View solution in original post

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You cannot just change the CN of a trustpoint and leave the old certificate in place. That breaks the fundamental prupose of a certificate as being a unique identifier of a given host.

You should delete the trustpoints and associated certificates altogether and then reload. The ASA hould automatically create a new trustpoint and certificate. That should allow you to configure via ASDM.

If you like, you can continue to use that dynamic one or create a new persistent one (and associated 2048-bit or higher RSA key).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

veramasu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Nils,

Please use the asdm 7.4.2 which has lot of fixes.

Thanks,

VR

You were both right. Loading the old config which included the trustpoints / certificates did not work. Had to recreate the certificates. That done, I encountered a new error (ASDM stuck at 87%) which was solved by updating to 7.4.2.

Thanks!

BR,

Nils

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You cannot just change the CN of a trustpoint and leave the old certificate in place. That breaks the fundamental prupose of a certificate as being a unique identifier of a given host.

You should delete the trustpoints and associated certificates altogether and then reload. The ASA hould automatically create a new trustpoint and certificate. That should allow you to configure via ASDM.

If you like, you can continue to use that dynamic one or create a new persistent one (and associated 2048-bit or higher RSA key).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card