cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cascading two SG220-26 switches

lunadesign
Level 1
Level 1

I'm 99% sure the answer is "yes" but wanted to make sure -- can I cascade two SG220-26 switches together?  IE, make the two look act like a single 52 port switch?

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

These switches do not stack, you need to go to the Sx500 series for stacking like you describe.  You can still connect them and trunk between them, but you will need to log into each individually to manage them.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Ah, I think I may have used the wrong terminology / description.  I'm not necessarily looking for the two switches to be managed as a single unit.  I just want to connect the 2nd switch to the 1st one and still have all the VLANs work on both switches, much like I did with my old Dell PowerConnect 2716 switches.

I see.  Yes you can do this with any switches, really.  One bit of advice is that I would consider disabling the auto smart ports feature.  It always seems to try to outsmart me and create configurations I don't intend.  You can disable wit h he global config command: macro auto disabled  Then just program the switches the way you want with VLANs and tagging them on the trunk ports.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Thanks for the info.....I figured that was standard switch behavior but wanted to make sure.

Thanks also for the auto smart ports tip.  I haven't seen this feature or the command in the SG220 docs I've skimmed so far.  Its possible its a new feature that I'll verify in the CLI once I get my newly arrived unit plugged in.  I tend to prefer setting things up manually so I definitely appreciate you mentioning it.