Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500 MULTIPLE VLAN on one port

Eric Arnould
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure multiple Vlan on one port but it's not working.

My configuration : 3 SG500 in stack mode, mode router, version firmware 1.4.1.03

Scwitch1 , port-1/1 Vlan1-Untagged PVID=Vlan1 (trunk mode) , port-1/6 Vlan6-Untagged PVID=Vlan6 (trunk mode)

Scwitch2 , port-2/3 Vlan1-Untagged + Vlan6-Tagged PVID=Vlan1 (trunk mode)

On port-1/1 one PC with one network card , IP in Vlan1

On port-1/6 one PC with one network card , IP in Vlan6

On port-2/3 one PC with one network card , 2 IP , one in Vlan1 and one in Vlan6

When I ping from port-1/1 to port-2/3, ping is OK (Vlan1 to Vlan1)

When I ping from port-1/6 to port-2/3, ping is KO (Vlan6 to Vlan6)

I want to have a ping OK from Port-1/1 and from port-1/6  to port-2/3

I try many configuration for port-2/3 but no success...

Can someone help me ?

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi dont think you can do that, usually you cant have 2 data vlans under 1 switch port whether tagged or not , even on a enterprise level switch you can only have 1 data and 1 voice vlan max unless the port is a full trunk allowing all vlans but then its not an access port connecting pcs/phones etc

Thats the normal standard below but even if you set it as a trunk allowing multiple vlans you would need a pc/nic that can read the tagging at the source device

switchport access vlan x

switchport voice vlan x

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply.

I will try your suggestion : pc/nic that can read the tagging at the source device.

I will inform you from the result...(next week)

Hi, I think the information posted here may be confusing.

Your switch is already in router mode, ie, layer 3 mode.

So even if you have computers connecting to access port on different VLAN, as long as the VLAN has an IP address assigned to it and your computer/client connections have the correct default gateway set, that will intercommunicate.

Example:

Vlan 1  = 192.168.1.1 /24

Client 1 connects to access port 1 (VLAN 1 untagged) with IP address 192.168.1.10 /24 with gateway 192.168.1.1

VLAN 2 = 192.168.2.1 /24

Client 2 connects to access port 2 (VLAN 2 untagged) with IP address 182.168.2.10 /24 with gateway 192.168.2.1

With this basic configuration you will connect to comptuers/client connection from different subnets and route across those VLAN.

Since the switches are in stacks, the actual VLAN trunking is not relevant for client connectivity. The only time your trunking will matter is if you want to send traffic somewhere else outside of local switch connectivity.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi all,

To complete my configuration :

- all Vlan have an IP address assigned

- switchs are in mode router, layer 3

As suggested by Mark, I have connected on port-2/3 a linux sever, with one nic.

The nic have 2 IP : one IP in Vlan1, one IP in Vlan6.

I added the "linux package Vlan" on the nic, and now the nic works as a Vlan trunk.

The configuration port-2/3 change, now the configuration is : Vlan1-Tagged + Vlan6-Tagged , PVID=4095 (trunk mode)

Now I can ping from port-1/1 (vlan1)  and from port-1/6 (vlan6) the linux server on port-2/3 (vlan1+vlan6)

Thank you so much for all your comments.
They helped me a lot.

Joshua Beatty
Level 1
Level 1

Can you ping from Port 2/3's VLAN1 and VLAN6 IP addresses individually to test if it is a 1/6-2/3 issue or if that PC cannot talk on VLAN6 at all. 

Is the stack in Layer 3 mode and doing inter VLAN routing or are we isolating the VLAN's and the PC on 2/3 needs to access/be accessed from both.