cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Scheduling Jobs to run past midnight compile with dependencies

chlouiying
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all, new to this forum.  I did a search but couldn't find anything.  Excuse me if this has already been covered.

Currently I have a set of Jobgroups, each with multiple jobs in them, that need to run sequentially (with a dependency on the previous job) that kicks off at 9pm, and is expected to run until 4am the next day (roughly 100 jobs total).  The jobrun duration of each job is not static -- it may be 1 min one day, or 1 hour.  These jobs are all scheduled Daily (with some scheduled weekly).

Due to the midnight compilation of the schedule, I am uncertain of how job carryover will work, due to the dependencies. 

Layout:

JobGroupRoot

.JobGroup1

..Job1

..Job2

.JobGroup2

..Job3

..Job4

..etc

If Job2 doesn't complete until Midnight, how can I make it so that Job3 runs?  How does this affect the next days schedule.  From my understanding, since all of the jobs will be compiled at midnight, the instance will run, but then the next run will be messed up due to job3 ->onwards have already been run for the day?

To make my question simpler: I have 100 jobs that need to run daily between 9pm and 4am the next day.  Can this be done without changing the entire production or compilation offset?

Thanks in advance!

--Christian

10 Replies 10

Derrick Au
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Christian,

The answer is YES. A few things to check, at system level and job/group-level.

System Level

Click on Activities from the top menu, and select configure scheduler. Select the appropriate option for your unfinished schedule (All Unfinished Jobs, unless disabled for job), and specify the number of days to carryover (ie, 1-3).

Job/group Level

Job Group Level Options, if job is currently running set this to Run Anyway

Job Level Options, if job is currently running, then set this to Defer Until Normal/Complete. Note the difference between defer until normal and complete. Complete here refers to any status regardless whether a job succeeds or fails. Also, if the disable carryover checkbox has a check mark, then this needs to be cleared in order for job to carryover.

Regards,

Derrick Au

Thanks for the quick response!  I've tried these options now, however it didn't work.

At Job Level Options, I've set all of them to defer until Normal.

An example of what happened was:

.JobGroup1

..Job1 11:30p completed normal at 11:54p

..Job2 11:55p completed normal at 12:01a

.JobGroup2

..Job3 12:00a SKIPPED

..Job4 12:00a SKIPPED

And then I looked at the current day, and job2 was carried over, however nothing after that was.

(btw i'm running 6.1.505)

Hi Christian,

Please confirm the following:

• system level settings

• job group 2 settings (from option tab)

• job level settings - you mentioned that the jobs are set to defer until normal, but do you notice if the checkbox for Disable Carryover has been checked? In order for disable carryover to work, then the Disable Carryover checkbox should be cleared

Regards,

Derrick Au

Confirmed System Configuration, radio box set to All Unfinished Jobs.  Days to Carryover set to 999

Confirmed each JobGroup is set to Run Anyway, and Disable carryover is unchecked

Confirmed each Job is set to Defer until normal, and Disable carryover is unchecked

Extra notes:

I have a time window set only on JobGroupRoot -- start time is set.  No other jobs or jobgroups have a time window.  There are job dependencies on each jobgroup that the previous completes normally.

Hi Christian,

JobGroupRoot means .JobGroup1?

Before the start of your jobs at 9:00pm, do ALL jobs appear on the schedule for current day? Or are there some jobs missing?

Do they all the run the same schedule (calendars)?

Regards,

Derrick Au

JobGroupRoot means 1 context level higher

ie:

\jobgrouproot\jobgroup1\

\jobgrouproot\jobgroup1\job1

\jobgrouproot\jobgroup2\

All jobs are shown in the schedule, waiting on dependency status

All have the same job schedule calendar -- all are inherited.

To me, this would seem like it's a standard job pattern used by multiple companies, and I must be missing something really simple!

Hi Christian,

Lastly, please confirm the options on JobGroupRoot -- disable carryover option should not be checked.

Regards,

Derrick Au

Confirmed.  disable carryover option is unchecked (for this, and all jobgroups, and jobs)

chlouiying,

Did you find a resolution to this issue?  If so, would you mind letting me know what it was?

Thanks.
TK

That was all I could think of at the moment, I am not sure why your jobs/groups/and root group does not get carried over past midnight. If all jobs/groups/root group are properly configured then it should behave as expected, but I must be missing something here as well...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: