Views
Helpful
Replies

Un recognized node in my network

webb63001
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings;

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes....

I have a DPC3939 Wireless Gateway, supplied by Comcast. When Inspecting the LAN for problems I discovered a node at 192.168.1.254, which I can ping, but otherwise not contact. This node also has the strange MAC address of 00:05:04:03:02:01.

In several other forums (one being Comcast's) I have asked about this, but Comcast has no answer. others have discovered this same node either at 10.0.0.254 or 192.168.1.254, depending on what local address you have implemented, with exactly the same MAC address

This node exists, if I completely remove the Gateway from any connection, and scan it with my smartphone using an app called Fing.

So I was wondering if Cisco as the manufacturer of the device might have some insight, even though I realize that the firmware in the device belongs to Comcast. Is there an Internal device that is meant to support VOIP or Home Security that might show up in this manner???  Is this some sort of security being implemented by Comcast??

Thanks for your time,

Mike Webb

2 Replies 2

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are true, the firmware is Comcast's. I'm almost sure Cisco will not comment features of their firmware. Especially if Comcast is not willing to respond you ...

Related: Cisco Consumer Set-Tops, Modems and Gateways

It is an ASA Cisco firewall. You'll notice the only port open is 49152 as well. I am a Cybersecurity & Forensics student. Firewalls use the 54321 MAC address a lot to make it easy to identify.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: