Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum speed for a Aironet 1240ag WAP

techinneed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out why the maximum wireless speed my laptop gets is 11Mbps when connected to the 1240ag WAP.

No matter what I change or adjust on the WAP the speed never exceeds 11Mbps.  This speed is not really good for streaming content.  The signal speed bounces from 1-11Mbps even when sitting idle.

Is there anything I can adjust on the WAP to increase the speed or is this is as good as it is going to get?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I am trying to figure out why the maximum wireless speed my laptop gets is 11Mbps when connected to the 1240ag WAP.

What is the EXACT model of your laptop's wireless NIC card and what is the version of the driver? 

Have you tried any other wireless client other than your laptop? 

What data rates are allowed on the AP?

Thanks for getting back to me.  The laptop is off right now, and I cannot check the driver, but I did try to upgrade the driver, and the upgrade wizard had a message that the latest driver is installed.  The driver can do 802.11a/b/g/n or one of each.  It is set to do all four a/b/g/n.

Attached is what my AP is set to as far as data rates.  I tried to enable the higher speeds but there is an asterisk next to the higher speeds with the asterisk " * " means OFMD.

I am not sure if this is a limitation of the AP or just a setting somewhere.

Thanks for the help.  If you need anything else let me know.

You need to look at the wireless card. It seems like the NIC is only doing 802.11b. If your using windows, you can open a command shell and enter netsh WLAN show interface and that should show you the NIC card type, capabilities and driver information. 

That is a very old AP also, you could probably find at least an 802.11n AP off of eBay of something.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The limitation is not on the AP but on 802.11 g itself, you would not have more than 21 Mbps downstream

Hello all,

Just a little update.  For whatever reason, on the C1242ag WAP, I disabled the 802.11g Radio and the bandwidth on the laptop went from 11Mbps up to 48Mbps.

Currently on this WAP, it only has the 802.11a radian enabled.

How is this so?  I thought the "g" was better than the "a, b, n"?

Does this sound correct?

Thanks!

To add value to this discussion, the 1242ag is not an 802.11n supported device in either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.  By disabling the radio, the client connected to 5Ghz radio supporting 802.11a with more nonoverlapping channels than 802.11b/g.  There are many reasons for a device to fluctuate in speed.  Depending upon the desired coverage range, you may find that this is acceptable or you can reenable the radio and tune the end device wireless properties to prefer A for the same results with removing support entirely for 2.4Ghz devices.  If these are controller based, be advised that there is a potential issue that must be addressed prior to 10 year MIC certificate anniversary and APs will no longer associate to controllers after 8.0.x release.  Regards.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card