cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console connection to 2950 switch

apadilla85016
Level 1
Level 1

I have a console connection to my switch (an rg45 to serial) The serial is a flat ribbon dongle cable that has pins on the motherboard and uses a bracket. When i go into putty on my win 7 64 bit system . i just get a blank terminal screen. This is the second switch I have ordered from eBay and from a different seller. I also tried my fathers computer with a integrated serial port (part of the motherboard connections) and have the same result: a blank screen when i enter into my putty program. I also tried three different console cables with the same result . Could i be configuring the default settings wrong?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Feedback forum is dedicated to other topic. Read it's description, please.

This thread will be moved to more appropriate place.

View solution in original post

If nothing else will help ? Yes. Or give up.

But at the first you should be pretty sure there's no problem on client's side of serial cable - and with the cable itself including the bracket.

You may also capture all network packets sent by switch. It may reveal the IP address configured in - either directly or as part of CDP packet. With known IP address you may try to login via telnet.

And respond Oleg's question ...

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Feedback forum is dedicated to other topic. Read it's description, please.

This thread will be moved to more appropriate place.

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As the switch is not new, there may be saved configuration on it. It such case, there may be different baud speed as well as number of data bits, stop bits and parity in effect. You need to find the correct one.

Changed baud speed is more common than changes of other terminal parameters, so start changing baud rate first.

I tried all the speeds or baud rates on device manager and the putty and tera term program as well and no connection, but should I try all possible parameter combinations along with the baud rate? (stop bits, data bits, parity,flow control)?

If nothing else will help ? Yes. Or give up.

But at the first you should be pretty sure there's no problem on client's side of serial cable - and with the cable itself including the bracket.

You may also capture all network packets sent by switch. It may reveal the IP address configured in - either directly or as part of CDP packet. With known IP address you may try to login via telnet.

And respond Oleg's question ...

I will do as you suggest when I get home but I tested the first switch I bought on my fathers integrated serial port on his 32 bit system. I can try to test it again Oh yeah to Oleg I'll respond now. Much thanks

Oleg Volkov
Spotlight
Spotlight

Please describe which LEDs blinks and on, when You insert Power Cable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helping seriously ill children, all together. All information about this, is posted on my blog

When I get home I'll test the switch and let you know the exact leds blink at bootup.

Much thanks

The system then the utility light goes on then all the lights for a second then a solid system and stat light goes on.

Properly booting - https://www.dropbox.com/s/muirlpp41uh6447/2015-06-24%2010.50.07.mov?dl=0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helping seriously ill children, all together. All information about this, is posted on my blog
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: