Views
Helpful
Replies

Significance of Next HOP address in CEF

Wajih Rehman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I want to understand the significance of NEXT HOP Address in FIB. If adjancency tables are there which can point to L2 address then why do we need to have next hop address at all in FIB?

Is it kept because of the load balancing ?

Thanks for your support.

Wajih

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wajih, Rick,

Wajih has a valid point.

The FIB itself is a tree-based structure built from network prefixes found in the routing table, and contains pointers to corresponding entries in the adjacency table. If a packet comes in, its destination IP address will be matched against the prefixes in the FIB and the pointer in the matching entry of the FIB points directly to the adjacency table entry that contains a pre-constructed frame header to encapsulate the packet and send it to the proper neighbor. In essence, the FIB is an index over the adjacency table, using network prefixes as keys to look up records in the adjacency table (the frame rewrite information).

Where does the next hop IP address come into play in all this?

Somewhat surprisingly, the next hop IP address is used only when the FIB and adjacency table entries are constructed and linked together. On one hand, the IP address of the next hop will be resolved into the appropriate Layer2 addressing information and this, including other information, will be used to create an adjacency table entry. On the other hand, networks in the routing table will be "compiled" to the FIB and will be linked to appropriate adjacency table entries using the next hop IP address as the "foreign key" to tie the FIB and adjacency table entries together.

Once these structures have been properly built and linked together, however, the next hop IP address is not really required when CEF/FIB lookups are performed. The principle of performing lookups in the FIB does not require the presence of a next hop IP, and once the matching node for a packet's destination has been found in the FIB, the pointer contained in that node points to the adjacency table entry that already contains information derived from mapping the appropriate next hop IP into Layer2 address. So really, the next hop IPs are used to build the adjacency table and tie FIB entries into adjacency table entries, but they are not used to operate the whole CEF.

The fact that next hop IP addresses do appear in show ip cef output, even in show adjacency detail, does not mean they are truly a part of the FIB or adjacency table. They may constitute diagnostic data maintained for us, the administrators, to better navigate in the outputs. However, just because a next hop IP is printed out in these show commands does not mean that the IP address is in fact used when operating the FIB or adjacency table. Consider it as a control and diagnostic information that can be stored along the data in the CEF but which plays no role in how the CEF operates.

My two cents...

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wajih

There are probably several ways to answer your question and I will start from the perspective that IOS needs the next hop to be included in the FIB so that you know which entry from the adjacency table is the one that you need to use. If you were not sure of the next hop then how would you know which entry in the adjacency table to use?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Wajih, Rick,

Wajih has a valid point.

The FIB itself is a tree-based structure built from network prefixes found in the routing table, and contains pointers to corresponding entries in the adjacency table. If a packet comes in, its destination IP address will be matched against the prefixes in the FIB and the pointer in the matching entry of the FIB points directly to the adjacency table entry that contains a pre-constructed frame header to encapsulate the packet and send it to the proper neighbor. In essence, the FIB is an index over the adjacency table, using network prefixes as keys to look up records in the adjacency table (the frame rewrite information).

Where does the next hop IP address come into play in all this?

Somewhat surprisingly, the next hop IP address is used only when the FIB and adjacency table entries are constructed and linked together. On one hand, the IP address of the next hop will be resolved into the appropriate Layer2 addressing information and this, including other information, will be used to create an adjacency table entry. On the other hand, networks in the routing table will be "compiled" to the FIB and will be linked to appropriate adjacency table entries using the next hop IP address as the "foreign key" to tie the FIB and adjacency table entries together.

Once these structures have been properly built and linked together, however, the next hop IP address is not really required when CEF/FIB lookups are performed. The principle of performing lookups in the FIB does not require the presence of a next hop IP, and once the matching node for a packet's destination has been found in the FIB, the pointer contained in that node points to the adjacency table entry that already contains information derived from mapping the appropriate next hop IP into Layer2 address. So really, the next hop IPs are used to build the adjacency table and tie FIB entries into adjacency table entries, but they are not used to operate the whole CEF.

The fact that next hop IP addresses do appear in show ip cef output, even in show adjacency detail, does not mean they are truly a part of the FIB or adjacency table. They may constitute diagnostic data maintained for us, the administrators, to better navigate in the outputs. However, just because a next hop IP is printed out in these show commands does not mean that the IP address is in fact used when operating the FIB or adjacency table. Consider it as a control and diagnostic information that can be stored along the data in the CEF but which plays no role in how the CEF operates.

My two cents...

Best regards,
Peter

Thank you Peter and Rick for your explanation. It is very detail and helpful.Before I mark the discussion answer, I have two more questions that came to my mind and if you could elaborate. 

CEF Glean state is define when FIB has the entry but no layer 2 address in adjacency tables. Such packets are forward to Layer-3 engine for ARP resolution. So, can we say that all packets because of glean state are cef punt. I understand that there could be other reasons for punt but CEF glean state will definitely mark all these packets as  punt ?

Second, L3 engine will update FIB as soon as a route is learn and generally it should come with L2 address ( as some other router will be sending the update). If I am right then what cause L2 address to vanish from adjacency tables and cause Glean state?

Many thanks for your support again.

Wajih

Hi Wajih,

So, can we say that all packets because of glean state are cef punt. I understand that there could be other reasons for punt but CEF glean state will definitely mark all these packets as  punt ?

I would personally agree. In CEF parlance, "punting" a packet means pushing it to the next slower switching path as CEF is not capable of handling the forwarding of that packet alone. Glean adjacencies represent directly attached networks (I will explain later) and if a packet hits a glean adjacency, an ARP request needs to be generated for the packet's destination. Clearly, this is not really forwarding a packet, rather doing some resolution work to be added to CEF so that in the future, the packet can be forwarded directly. Therefore, handling a packet by a glean adjacency means punting it.

It is somewhat confusing that the show ip cef adjacency punt does not show the glean adjacencies as also being considered as punt adjacencies. To be quite honest, I haven't seen true punt adjacencies myself yet. Ivan Pepelnjak shows that on a serial interface with X.25 encapsulation, the attached network is handled by a punt adjacency, presumably because X.25 was not added to the CEF switching path and so sending packets over X.25 links has to be handled differently:

http://blog.ipspace.net/2007/01/cef-punt-adjancency.html

Second, L3 engine will update FIB as soon as a route is learn and generally it should come with L2 address ( as some other router will be sending the update). If I am right then what cause L2 address to vanish from adjacency tables and cause Glean state?

It is not about L2 addresses vanishing from adjacency tables. There is a different reasoning.

If you think about the way CEF works, it should be fairly obvious that CEF significantly accelerates routing of IP packets to remote networks: You find the destination network for the packet in the FIB quickly, and the pointer from the FIB points right into the adjacency table where the frame header for the next hop is already preconstructed. However, if a router receives a packet whose destination is one of the directly attached Ethernet networks of the router, the best matching entry (the longest prefix match) in the FIB would be just the prefix of the attached network itself. This prefix by itself does not tell anything more beyond stating the obvious that the network is attached to a particular Ethernet interface. However, CEF cannot point this FIB entry to any particular adjacency table entry because this FIB entry represents the whole network, not a particular node in it.

So what CEF does it install a glean adjacency for this FIB entry that represents the whole network. Packets hitting a glean adjacency will cause the router to perform an ARP lookup for the packet's destination, and when an ARP response arrives, the router will install a new /32 entry just for this directly connected host into the FIB and point it toward the adjacency table entry for this particular host. Further packets for this host will hit the /32 entry in the FIB and will thus be natively CEF switched (remember - the longest prefix match still applies), while packets to other destinations in the same directly attached network that haven't yet been spoken to will continue hitting the glean adjacency, hopefully causing the router to add more and more /32 entries to the CEF for them. This is how the glean adjacencies are created and used - they simply represent directly attached networks and all hosts in them they have not been spoken to yet.

This is the moment when the FIB contents start diverging from the contents of the routing table. Under normal circumstances, a routing table would never be populated with IP addresses of individual hosts in directly attached networks because that is largely unnecessary for the basic routing. For a routing table, it is entirely sufficient to have a directly connected network entry describing the network prefix of all hosts in that network, and an information about the interface to which the network is attached. However, CEF tries to accelerate the delivery of all packets, both to remote destinations over directly attached next hops, and to local destinations in directly attached networks. Now, for remote destinations, the next hop addresses are known from the routing table so CEF has enough information to construct a frame rewrite information in the adjacency table and point the appropriate FIB entry to it. However, for directly attached networks and stations in them, the starting knowledge is just the knowledge about the directly attached networks themselves. End hosts in these directly attached networks are, so to say, their own next hops (a next hop for a directly attached destination is that destination itself), but the routing table does not even tell CEF if such hosts exist at all. So the way of handling this is having a glean adjacency for each directly attached network and its network prefix, and in addition, populating the FIB with /32 (or in IPv6, /128) entries as individual stations in these directly connected networks are spoken to and discovered.

It is noteworthy to mention that glean adjacencies are interesting only for multi-access network types on which there is a mechanism of performing a dynamic Layer3-to-Layer2 mapping, such as Ethernet. Glean adjacencies are not installed for networks on point-to-point links such as HDLC, PPP, or tunnels. Also, multi-access technologies without dynamic Layer3-to-Layer2 mapping mechanisms, such as Frame Relay, are not eligible for glean adjacencies because there is no mechanism in these networks that would map a known Layer3 information to an unknown Layer2 information on demand (while Frame Relay has its InverseARP, that one works in the opposite direction and so it is not interesting to CEF).

Please feel free to welcome further.

Rick, I hope I haven't stolen your thread - I sincerely apologize if that happened!

Best regards,
Peter

Peter

Thank you for your very good answer. I certainly do not regard it as stealing the thread. I think one of the strengths of these forums is that multiple people participate and multiple opinions about the issue give the original poster the best information. And it is not my thread but belongs to the original poster.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card