cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Speed VS Throughput

layne.peterson1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about the limitation the speed of a port will actually put on real world throughput. I have a client that has a 150 meg pipe from their provider, and they want a firewall that will give them the full throughput without having a bottleneck. I was looking at an ASA 5510, but it only has Fast Ethernet ports. In theory they shouldn't be able to get over 100 Megs since there aren't any Gig ports right, and the port that connects to the ISP would be the bottleneck.

I understand they could have higher throughput locally since there are multiple ports, and combined they would add up to more than the 100 Meg limit on a single interface, but accessing the internet they would be limited to 100 Megs max, which would be even less once services are enabled, correct?

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

but accessing the internet they would be limited to 100 Megs max, which would be even less once services are enabled, correct?

Correct, the limiting factor would be the interface connecting to the ISP and that would be the bottleneck assuming of course you were generating more than 100Mbps of traffic.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco