cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP371 low data rate

rnelson011
Level 1
Level 1

I just installed the AEP371 Access Point. It works but the data rate is just 1 Mbps. Any suggestions about what the problem might be? The configuration was straightforward using the Quick Start Guide. .

12 Replies 12

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. 

I would like to request a little more information. Can you provide your current network scheme? How are you measuring this throughput? From where to where? What is your wired speeds looking like?

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

i have the latest firmware and have try several setup`s.

now i have dynamic IP from the dhcp from the zte H368N modem and configured the 2.4 and 5 ghz on the wap371.

I have a SG100D-08P (SG100D-08P-EU) for the POE.

I also filtered the I-tv signal for the TV from the cable that is connected to the wap (is going over the powerline adapter)

sometime the speed is very fast (40-70Mbps) and sometime i even cannot connect to the 5ghz and the 2.4 is very slow (even when i`m in the same room as the wap). When i use the wifi from the modem (normally wlan on the modem is not activated) the speed is about 25Mbps with 2.4ghz

is tested the speed with speedtest.net 

I don`t know what to do now... sometimes it is verry fast and sometimes it is verry slow.. 

If the speed was constantly slow or bad, then I would thin that there could be a configuration error or hardware issue. But with what your describing it sounds more like congestion slowing your wireless throughput.

Some things to look at:

1. During the slow times how is the wired speed?

2. Does the slow times happen during a specific time of the day? Mornings, Nights, between certain hours of the days, etc or just randomly?

3. Have you run a scan on your wireless environment to see what other signals are in your area? 

4. Also what kind of area is this, Residential, Business, Industrial? Is there any electrical equipment near-by?

5. How many users are there normally on the network. Does this ever fluctuate? If it does does this coincide with the speed issues?

Eric Moyers

Hi Erik,

thank you for the answer.

1: i don`t know. I have only wireless divices connected. No wired PC. afer the reboulding of the private office i can connect a wired PC to check (1 or 2 weeks)

2 randomly

3: the wireless connection signal is always oke. Only not the connection speed (or i cannot connect). the wifi speed from the modem of my isp is always oke

4 it is at my house (privat). even in the same room as the wap

5: normally 2 users and 5 to 6 devices (NAS, Apple TV, 2 mobile phones, 2 laptops. it fluctuates but has no influance on the speed (i have disconnected them all)

I would do a scan of your wireless environment. A tool like Wifi Analytics, which is free, would be good.

Also it may be helpful do do packet capture and see if there is any abnormal traffic flowing across your wireless during those periods. 

We have a tool included with the WAPs that can do that:

Here is a link to a document that explains what to do.

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=43fd253dd8d14272a0e0d0045bf1bcf5_Configuration_of_Packet_Capture_on_WAP551_and_WAP561_Access_.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=5&dispid=0&cpage=search

Even though the document was created for WAP500 series routers. The steps are exactly the same.

If you have had your device for less than a year, you can call in and have one of our engineers assist you with this.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Hi Eric,

Ik have the problem since the beginning (1 month from now). so it is only one month old.

sometimes the connection also gives (in the browser: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET) maby that can help you tell me what to do? then i have to reconnect tot the wifi.

can you give me the link to the tool wifi analytics?

about the packet capturing, i don`t know what to do (to dificult for me i think :-))

Then you are well within your 1 year of free phone support. I would call in and open a ticket with our Engineers that monitor the phones.

Since it looks like you are in Europe, (SG100D-08P-EU) our support center would be the best to assist you since they are closest to your time zone.

Here is a list of numbers.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

southerndoc
Level 1
Level 1

I am also experiencing low data throughput (LAN to wireless).  My connection rate on my computers are always 500+, but when I check with Speedtest.net I'm getting 70-85 Mbps at most.  If I check with a wired (CAT6) computer (iMac), I'm getting 290-310 Mbps downstream.

For the WAP371, I've tried testing with my MacBook, my wife's MacBook Pro, and my Dell Windows laptop.

I switched to the Ubiquiti UAP-AC 802.11ac WAP's and was getting 290-300 Mbps through Speedtest.net.  However, the connections weren't as stable as the WAP371 and I had to go back (lots of disconnects, etc.).

Any acknowledgement of this being a bug?

southerndoc
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I seem to have solved my issue, or at least doubled my throughput.

I had 2 networks: wifi and wifiac.  wifi was 2.4 GHz with SSID being broadcasted and accepting WPA-TKIP and WPA2-AES.  Band steering was enabled.  wifiac was 5 GHz with a hidden SSID and only accepting WPA2-AES.

I wanted to see if the 802.11n on the 2.4 GHz would get more than 100 Mbps.  I switched to it, did a speed test, and got 200+ Mbps.  I checked the channel I was on to find that it was a 5 GHz channel (108, DFS).

That's when I realized that by enabling the SSID broadcast and accepting WPA-TKIP in addition to WPA2-AES might fix the problem.

Thankfully it did!

Not sure if this is a bug or what.  My MacBook is connecting with WPA2.

I am glad that you found that. I should have thought to ask if both of the signals were broadcasting. My apologies for not asking. Sometimes, we cant see the forest for the trees. 

Eric Moyers

Can you report this to engineering as a bug?

There would have to be additional testing done to confirm a bug. Like if you disable band steering does everything work as expected. I do know that with Band Steering enabled both sets of Radio SSIDs have to be identical. Same name, same encryption and password, and both broadcasting. If by enabling broadcasting like you stated above it started working, Then the response the development team would likely give is "Working as expected".

However if you would like to pursue this, Bugs can only be created based on cases and troubleshooting. You would have to call in and open a case and working with the assigned engineer to gather information. So that it can evaluated.

The number to call would be 1-866-606-1866.

Eric Moyers