cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 4.X MCS UPGRADE TO CUCM 10.5 VM CONFUSION

anshumansingh45
Level 1
Level 1

I will be migrating/upgrading a legacy cucm version 4.2 to 10.5 on BE6K server. i have planned to do the following steps but i need to clear out some confusions:-

1. install DMA on the MCS publisher and take the backup of the current CUCM (4.2) and then copy it to external har drive.

2. insert the cucm 7.1.5 media in the current mcs server and install 7.1.5 on it and then restore the tar file as taken out from DMA.

3. Install PCD on the BE6K server and then make cucm virtual machines(migration destination) without powering on. I HAVE A CONFUSION THAT DO I NEED TO HAVE A SEPARATE SWITCH FOR THIS PROCESS OR I CAN USE THE SAME PRODUCTION NETWORK SWITCH???

4. After configuring PCD, discover the existing cluster and then create a migration task in it with source and destination clusters. I HAVE CONFUSION THAT HOW WILL IT DISCOVER THE EXISTING 7.1.5 CLUSTER IF I USE A SEPARATE SWITCH (BLACK HOLE AS I HAVE READ SO MANY THREADS HERE) FOR MY NEW UCS BOX..??

5.THEN migrate publisher and subcriber one by one.

Broadly i have planned for these steps with the migration of licensing as well but please i need some input on the use of PCD as iwill be using it for the first time. I just need to understand that how can i assign the same IP ADDRESS to my newly created VMs as of the older CUCM 7.1.5 cluster..??

Also i need some input on the new installation of the cucm 7.1.5 media in the mcs server..the downtime is must there.?? I have verified the MCS version as it will support the cucm 7.1.5 as an intermediate release of my M1 migration.

thanks in advance

Anshuman Singh

+971 555012936

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Anshuman,

if u need to use same MCS server for 7.1.5 on which Call manager 4.x is installed, u need to check whether MCS H/W supports 7.x.You can keep the same IP address for new ones[take maintenance window]

Please check the steps for PCD

Sequence of steps:

1. You need to configure PCD .to do the same, u need to download VA and iso images
  2. Add esxi hosts to PCD inventory
  3. Now , u need to discover the cluster discovery .during this, a cop file would be installed on existing node.
  4. Once this is done, user has to mapping of existing nodes to new blank VM for creating the migration cluster.
  5. At this point, u can decide to have same N/W settings or new[Destination Cluster]
  6. After the migration is complete, u can define migration task to start either immediately/manually or schedule it. During this, data is exported from all nodes in the existing cluster and stored on PCD data store.
  7. First, old node i.e. PUB is shut down and new VM gets installed.
  8. This sequence follows for other nodes as well.

regds,

aman

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Anshuman,

You can change the IP addresses of new servers through PCD.

Since u need to use the same MCS server for DMA [which needs to be installed on Publisher] , it would require a reboot.

After this ,you can install CUCM 7.1.5 on UCS platform[non-production],restore.

Now , u can  put this in production and migrate to CUCM 10.X through PCD. Here, u can change the IP addresses of destination cluster.

If u are using static IP addresses for IP phones, then, u would have to change the IP addresses back to original ones else u can change in DHCP pool  for new ones tftp.

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

Thank you for your reply.. 

i dont want to change the ip address of my cucm cluster and thats y i have decided to install the CUCM 7.1.5 on the same mcs servers(please correct me if i am wrong).

actually my question is about the cluster discovery of PCD that when i will Deploy the Cisco-recommended OVA for Unified Communications Manager Release 10.5(1) to create the blank VMs for the destination cluster node installation an after that i will Create the appropriate number of target virtual machines on the ESXi hosts (one new virtual machine for each Cisco Unified Communications Manager server in the existing cluster) by using the Cisco OVA(s) , therefore here i will have to configure the network settings for the newly created VMs. so my confusion is here that how can i assign it the same IP address of my MCS 7.1.5 version pub-sub..???

And also please clear my confusion about adding the ESXi host in my PCD inventory..

thanks.

Anshuman Singh

Hi Anshuman,

if u need to use same MCS server for 7.1.5 on which Call manager 4.x is installed, u need to check whether MCS H/W supports 7.x.You can keep the same IP address for new ones[take maintenance window]

Please check the steps for PCD

Sequence of steps:

1. You need to configure PCD .to do the same, u need to download VA and iso images
  2. Add esxi hosts to PCD inventory
  3. Now , u need to discover the cluster discovery .during this, a cop file would be installed on existing node.
  4. Once this is done, user has to mapping of existing nodes to new blank VM for creating the migration cluster.
  5. At this point, u can decide to have same N/W settings or new[Destination Cluster]
  6. After the migration is complete, u can define migration task to start either immediately/manually or schedule it. During this, data is exported from all nodes in the existing cluster and stored on PCD data store.
  7. First, old node i.e. PUB is shut down and new VM gets installed.
  8. This sequence follows for other nodes as well.

regds,

aman