cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCSM showing reason: ENM source pinning failed.

Amit23
Level 4
Level 4

hello,

i have UCSM 2.2.3g and B200M4 with UCS FI 6248.

i am getting ENM source pinning failed...

how can fix it..

please see attached screen shot for more details..

Warm Regard's
Amit Sahrma
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes, when the Uplinks are not operational you will get the ENM source pinning failure as the vnics will remain unpinned to fabric uplinks.

I believe as soon the FIs have connectivity with the uplink switch the errors will go.

no you need add VLANs to server port links.

if the VLANs are global VLANs then they will be accessible on all uplinks. if you want to configure separate VLANs on specific uplink ports then you will add the VLANs to Uplink port separately. that will be a disjoint layer 2 concept.

you just need to fix the SFP once the FI is talking to the switch the pinning will resume.

View solution in original post

Unless you configure disjoint vlans, all vlans defined on UCS FI are included automatically in the Northbound ethernet trunks; nothing special to do.

see also

http://ciscoquicklinks.com/Tip-datacenter-ucs-uplink-port-configuration-examples-lan

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Saurabh Kothari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Amit,

one of the primary reason for ENM source pinning failure is - Mismatched or misconfigured VLANs between FI and upstream switch.

Considering a disjoint layer-2 set up.

vnic 1 is using a set VLANs (example 10,20)

vnic 2 is using a set of VLANs (example 30,40)

but you can't have a single vnic in VLAN 20,30 that's when you get this error!

though this is one of the scenarios.

please let us know if you have configured a disjoint L2 or have incorrectly set a VLAN as native?

Note: you have created duplicate discussions with the same subject line.

Regards,

Saurabh 

DEar Saurabh,

as of now, i dont have any connection with my upling core switch 6506..

might be this can be cause of this error?

as of now i have connected UCS with FI and configured two vlans on UCSM mgmnt 320 and server 611..

on each service porfile have assigned two ports for mgnt towards FI-A adn FI-B and around 6-8 server vlan towards FI-A and FI-B.

i have portchannel with 4 cables connection between UCS and FI..

!

so what could be cause and how an fix it?

Warm Regard's
Amit Sahrma

thanks Amit.

The most common reason this error occurs is when a VLAN assigned to a vNIC is not configured or available on one of the uplink interfaces. This prevents the UCS from pinning the vNIC traffic to an uplink, and therefore produces the error.

have you configured the vnics from a vnic template? make sure VLANs are assigned to respective vNIC.

have you configured failover vnics?

do you want to configure specific uplink ports for each VLAN?

so you don't have a disjoint L2 set up? correct

Yes!

still i don't have connection with uplink core devices.

would be this error coming because of no uplink connection?

also i applied vNIC template to service profiles. i crated two management and 6 server uplink vlan on vNIC template.

Warm Regard's
Amit Sahrma

Yes, without connectivity to the datacenter (North bound), your vnics will fail !

Thanks for your reply.

how can i assign vlans to uplink intrrfaces of FI?

do i need to assign vlan to downside server interfaces of FI?

Warm Regard's
Amit Sahrma

Unless you configure disjoint vlans, all vlans defined on UCS FI are included automatically in the Northbound ethernet trunks; nothing special to do.

see also

http://ciscoquicklinks.com/Tip-datacenter-ucs-uplink-port-configuration-examples-lan

Sorry, you don't have any North bound link from UCS FI ? if yes, this cannot work, specially if you use the default setup of Ethernet End Host Mode ?

Regarding the error; see eg

http://jeffsaidso.com/2013/04/enm-source-pinning-failed-a-lesson-in-disjoint-layer-

http://wahlnetwork.com/2014/09/23/enm-source-pinning-failed/

https://tools.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCua91415

thanks for your reply..

can you confirm me that the error i am getting it is related to uplink connection to switch?

Warm Regard's
Amit Sahrma

have you even configured the uplink interfaces on FIs?

from the screenshots you provided I see error code F0283

#1  F0283 - ENM source pinning failed

Please make sure the necessary VLANs that are allowed in vNICs are created in FI and and allowed in the uplinks.

#2 Link down errors

These are normal if the blades are not up and running with an OS ( with appropriate drivers ) .

I have configured two uplink on fi but it is not up at core switch 6506 side due to sfp issue.

may i know the reason behind F0283 enm pinning failed error?

is it due to uplink not up at core switch side?

did any configuration issue at ucsm side?

Warm Regard's
Amit Sahrma

Yes, when the Uplinks are not operational you will get the ENM source pinning failure as the vnics will remain unpinned to fabric uplinks.

I believe as soon the FIs have connectivity with the uplink switch the errors will go.

no you need add VLANs to server port links.

if the VLANs are global VLANs then they will be accessible on all uplinks. if you want to configure separate VLANs on specific uplink ports then you will add the VLANs to Uplink port separately. that will be a disjoint layer 2 concept.

you just need to fix the SFP once the FI is talking to the switch the pinning will resume.

Thanks for your support.

one more thing is that do i use vnic configuration manually under service profile or use from vnic policy for vnic configuration?

Warm Regard's
Amit Sahrma

the vnics policy should be used when you want to configure multiple vnics on multiple SPs to save time.

that's what UCS provides you usage of pools to derive things easily.

thanks Amit.

have a great day ahead :)

Regards,

Saurabh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card