cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9124 question

e-adesanmi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello..   I forgot my Cisco password, I found a link - http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/storage-networking/mds-9000-series-multilayer-switches/29441-8.html  on how to reset a password. 

The 2 questions I have concerning this -

1st) -  I have Windows 7 workstation and I plan connecting through serial using SSH since hyperterm is no longer alloweed for us , but a lot of forums indicate that Ctrl -l does not work and some are saying Ctrl -C did not work either...any clarification on this?

2nd) -  I plan to upgrade my OS version on the switches, can I do this the same time as changing the password, if yes, in what sequence would you recommend and if not, how would you suggest I go about it.

Thanks,

E.

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unless you lost your's CSC password, you are off-topic in Community Feedback Forum. See it's description for details. I will move the thread to more appropriate community.

jihicks
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The break character is not Ctrl-l it is Ctrl-], which is control - right bracket. Depending on the font being used on your browser, this is not apparent.

I have used PuTTy and it worked, but PuTTY also has "Special Command" in the pull down menu and "break" is one of these ( if you have trouble ).

I think the more likely problem is where you send break.  Sometimes it takes more than one attempt but maybe this will help.

1. Connect serial console cable to Cisco switch
2. Configure hyperterminal or emulator to 9600, 8 , N, 1 and default emulation
3. Connect cable and strike enter key and see prompt
4. Now power cycle the switch and get ready to execute the next steps quickly
5. In about 15 seconds you’ll begin seeing the switch boot and you’ll get ready to hold the
control key while pressing the ] key.

Make note of the m9x00-xxxx-kickstart-mz.x.x.x.x.bin image filename below because you will NEED it.

See below exactly when to hit the key combo to enter config mode.

Auto booting bootflash:/m9100-s1ek9-kickstart-mz.3.2.1a.bin bootflash:/m9100-s1
ek9-mz.3.2.1a.bin;bootflash:/m9100-s1ek9-mz.3.2.1a.bin...
Booting kickstart image: bootflash:/ m9x00-xxxx-kickstart-mz. x.x.x.x.bin....
.......Image verification OK  <<<THIS IS EXACTLY WHEN TO PRESS CONT-] key combo

Starting kernel...
INIT: version 2.78 booting
Checking all filesystems..... done.
Loading system software
INIT: Switching to runlevel: 1 <<< Run Level 1 means you succeeded!!

For the second question, I would do password recovery and get that working.  Then I would upgrade firmware but yes, this is a good time to do it since you are already in a maintenance window.   The Release Notes tell you the no-disruptive upgrade path.  This document should help:

Upgrade the Firmware on an MDS 9000 Series Multilayer Director Switch

Best regards,

Jim

Jim,

Much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Evelyn