Kartik.bhatia
Level 1
Level 1

Current UCCX 8.0.2 on UCS

Want to migrate to 10.6

Please correct me on below options I have and which one is better please:

Option 1. Same VM/Hardware upgrade, we only have 12 hours if we go for this

Upgrade to 10 and then to 10.6.

Issues: Downtime needed, Upgrade can take long time, CUCM upgrade will happen in parallel to this, less troubleshooting and testing time

Option 2: Add a new VM on UCS with same HostName and IP in an isolated black-hole network.

Take a DRS backup from prod and restore here..

Upgrade to 10 and then to 10.6.

Put this live when its properly integrated to CUCM and tested.

Am I in the right direction?

Assist please.

Thanks,

Kartik

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you are on 8.0 you need to go through intermediate version as you describe.  Either solution would be OK. First option is simplest but as you say will require longer downtime as you go through 2 upgrades. Second solution would work assuming you have enough resources on the server and ability to simulate NTP/DNS during the install.

I am assuming you are also upgrading CUCM to compatible version. 

I know this question is old but I'm hoping to get some clarifications. Looking at doing Option 2 above (from 8.5 to 10.6). My question is around the dependencies. If I take a DRS backup of 8.5 and install on new UCS server as same on isolated network, can I change hostname/IP to new and bring over to public network so it sees NTP and DNS? In addition, can I upgrade from there to 10.6 without CUCM being visible? TIA.

For the restore to be successful, you will need to keep the same IP Address, Host Name, Security Password etc as on the production server. Post this, you can change the IP Address but not the Host Name as the change of Host Name is supported only starting version 10.x.

If I would be in your place, will wait to upgrade full to 10.6 and only then change both the IP Address and Host Name in one go. While upgrading even if UCCX cannot talk to CM it is absolutely fine, no integration check with CM is required during the upgrade.

Regards

Deepak

- Rate Helpful Posts -

Deepak, thank you for your response. Good catch on the hostname change only available on 10X!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: