Views
Helpful
Replies

Only DHCP config remove after CISCO-1841 router reboots

Sudeb Das
Level 1
Level 1

HI friends,

I'm having a major problem at my office. We've cisco 1841 router at one of our branch. From last few weeks we have to configure the DHCP pool & rest of the DHCP config once the router reboots at morning. The reboot is not accidental as someone reboot it intentionally every morning. Once the router reboot it only lose it's dhcp config (rest of the config remains same) so we've to manually enter the whole DHCP config again. AND SAVE IT TO STARTUP-CONFIG. Next day when the router reboots same thing happens. 

Can some one tell me why the heck router malfunctioning like this ?? Now the strange thing is we've replace the router with other cisco 1841 router but it's still happening. Yes it's still happening. So I can't tell it's hardware issue & if you think the IOS has a bug then the same IOS is running on other branches & they don't have same issue. The config is same as other branch. Quite an interesting but frustrating thing. Your help require please suggest ... 

Thanks,

Sudeb 

sudebdas85@gmail.com

5 Replies 5

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sudeb,

This looks more like somebody is playing a prank on you rather than some technical issue at hand. Routers generally do not restart themselves out of blue, and certainly, they do not restart themselves regularly at the same time in the morning.

Nonetheless, do you believe it would possible for you to post the entire running configuration after hiding sensitive information? Please leave all lines in place, just XXX all sensitive data.

One kind request: If possible please do not use different colors and font weights if not necessary. The importance of your issue is obvious without making your text shine with bold blue and red.

Best regards,
Peter

Sudeb Das
Level 1
Level 1

Hello peter,

I didn't tell that router automatically restarted every morning. The tech person of the branch restarting every device including router at morning. So there is no prank.

We are working at a level where we don't need to post any running config for troubleshooting. It's a simple config & we all use the same commands while configuring DHCP on cisco router.

Moreover I've found next day that the startup-config retains the dhcp config part because when I run show start after the router reload I've seen the dhcp config intact. When I run show run there is no dhcp config commands. For testing I've run the command - 'copy start run'. Then I've found the exact problem - The router is ignoring the DHCP config commands. 

Now please suggest why a router ignoring few commands from loading to running-config from startup-config.  

Sudeb

In general when you attempt to make a config change and it just does not take it may be an indication that some resource or pre-requisite which is necessary for that command is not currently available. But I am not sure how this would be the case in your situation. I find it very interesting that copy start run does not succeed in getting DHCP into the configuration. I wonder if it would work to do a cut and paste of the part of the startup config into config mode?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

When I type the commands - ip dhcp pool, network, default router, dns etc all commands are applying without an error & users are getting dhcp through the router. Now if I run the command - copy start run while finding the dhcp config removes from running config after reboots. The copy process complete but it's showing errors against the dhcp commands & message displayed - invalid input detected below every commands.   

Sudeb

Thank you for the explanation. But this is not what I asked you. I asked if you did cut and paste from the startup config to running config, which is quite different from doing copy start run.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card