Views
Helpful
Replies

Return bandwidth policing based on QoS policy-map

CiscoArchitect
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I work for an ISP which we have many customers who buy our dedicated bandwidth service. We have implemented the QoS police on output port directed to their router. Here is the problem, Lets consider customer "A" has bought 10Gbps BW, we have implemented police action with "Drop" exceed rate on egress QoS policy-map (Aggregation Router), Customer sends lots of request to the internet sites which accumulated return traffic from those servers exceed the PIR, so we "Drop" the packets... in this scenario the traffic first comes from our Link to the higher tier ISP, then traffic utilizes our core network links and at egress port gets dropped, even if we enforce PIR on our trunk's ingress from higher tier ISP, still the trunk gets utilized and then at our side traffic gets dropped, And finally the question, What is the practical way to avoid our link to higher tier ISP gets utilized for such customers?

Thank you,

Ali

1 Reply 1

Hi Ali,

It seems to me that your customer maybe using UDP (or session-less) traffic, because TCP will react and slow down the transmission rate when you perform the drop action in either direction. However if you are the issue for TCP traffic you could combine your rate-limiting policy with congestion avoidance techniques like WRED to randomly discard packets when reaching certain traffic levels of upstream traffic, this could help to reduce the downstream traffice

For the case of UDP (or session-less) traffic the only way I can think you can try to resolve the situation is by controlling the number of active session or the sessions rate per customer. Firewalls can do this (including IOS Zone Based Firewalls). If you need a more sophisticated solution, you can check the Cisco SCE (Service Control Engine) that can control also the QoS per customer including the number of active sessions.

Hope this helps

Jacobo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: