cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 behind DSL router

GrootLives
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to wedge ASA into existing infrastructure. It will be behind an internet facing router. Never tried to do this before and not 100% sure how to do this. There are other ports on the router that have to remain untouched/unaffected.

Internet --> x.x.x.x Router 192.168.2.1 --> 192.168.2.100 ASA 10.0.82.1 --> private network (10.0.82.x)

The router has a public ip of x.x.x.x. On the private side the router is configured as 192.168.2 and I've configured the ASA 192.168.2.100 as a DMZ address on the router. Used the adsm wizard to setup a IPSEC(IKEv1) connection profile. But when I try to connect from another machine using the vpn client it doesn't seem to "see" the asa.

I don't suppose there exists a walkthru out there somewhere for such a scenario?

2 Replies 2

First: The better way would be to redesign your setup and use the router as a pure "modem" which means the ASA has the public IP. That makes everything much easier.

If that's not an option, have you forwarded UDP/500 and UDP/4500 from the DSL-router to the ASA? That is needed to make the VPN work.

Changing the existing setup is not an option. For reasons beyond my control the other ports on the router must remain outside the ASA. I do have the ability to designate one port/address on the router as being in the dmz (the ASA). That's it.

At the moment trying to replicate the setup on the bench and configure as much as I can before driving 4 hrs to deploy it. Not having much joy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: