cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

It's been a while, does N7k now support EvPC?

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

As far as I know, in a Dual Nexus 5k environment, w/c are configured for vPC. EvPC is available for FEX to be dual homed, one connection type to each of the Nexus switches. Such as the image below.

BUT, but but but, as the documentation goes, Nexus 7k models still do NOT support this kind of feature i.e., we cannot dual home a FEX such as a nexus 2k to two Nexus 7k in vPC, in w/c these NX7k switches are in vPC

Sooo the question is, its been a while, does it support it now?
As far as my research goes, n7k still does not support it.
On my research I actually encountered a post from 3 mos. ago, w/c says "no" to my question T.T
LINK: CLICK ME

Any inputs guys? :D

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

You are right, but Aru said the right thing. It supports dual homing as you show in the diagram, but not an enhanced vpc. 

To be more clear here is an explanation of enhanced vpc -- Thanks to steve-fuller on another post.

"Enhanced vPC is a method that allows the connection of FEX in an active-active manner using vPC between the FEX and upstream Nexus switch, and at the same time connection of a device to the FEX host interfaces with a vPC."

Please refer below for more details.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/operations/interfaces/602_n1_1/N5K_Interfaces_Ops_Guide/n5k_enhanced_vpc.html#10241

Hope this makes it clear.

Thanks,

Madhu

**** Please rate useful posts ****

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Nexus 7000 supports dual homed FEX but not enhanced vPC even on NX-OS 7.X , I am not seeing any road map to include this feature presently.

Regards,

Aru

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

Hey Aru, 

THis is probably epic but Cisco just released the latest release w/c was just released last month does support it :D

Version 7.2(0)D1(1) does support it 
LINK: Configuring FEX 

Qoute: Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 7.2(0)D1(1) , a Fabric Extender can support connections to two Cisco Nexus 7000 Series switches in active-active mode using a vPC

But yeah, probably still on the early stage. Hopefully we dont hit major bugs

Hello,

You are right, but Aru said the right thing. It supports dual homing as you show in the diagram, but not an enhanced vpc. 

To be more clear here is an explanation of enhanced vpc -- Thanks to steve-fuller on another post.

"Enhanced vPC is a method that allows the connection of FEX in an active-active manner using vPC between the FEX and upstream Nexus switch, and at the same time connection of a device to the FEX host interfaces with a vPC."

Please refer below for more details.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/operations/interfaces/602_n1_1/N5K_Interfaces_Ops_Guide/n5k_enhanced_vpc.html#10241

Hope this makes it clear.

Thanks,

Madhu

**** Please rate useful posts ****

In earlier releases with N7K It was not possible even to do dual-homing fex with VPC.

With newer one it is introduced. But not to be confused with eVPC.

Regards,

Madhu

Wow thanks everyone,

I think I got it
n7k now supports dual homing but not yet eVPC, to put it into perspective.

n7k supports this:

But NOT yet anything related to eVPC, which is this(below, left image only):

Hope I got it right :D :D

As far as I know N5k and N6k support eVPC

Image proof! Taken from the document link

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: