cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory card capacity on 2600 series (2691) (under 3700)

John Cheetley
Level 3
Level 3

Placed a formatted (under DOS FAT32) 256 MB Cisco compact flash card in router

on SIMM section

This doesn't appear in the sh file system command or the sh version command

Place a 32 MB compact flash in same SIMM section on MOBO and router reads this via above commands

Unless the 256 MB isnt any good which is weird as  I had just transferred the IOS to this.

Thanks again..:) 

PS. Please advise if this is the correct area to post.

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is Video Over IP, please move to a relevant area, probably a general routing/ISR area

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Mr Valencia for the hint

Sometimes the bootrom limits the size of supported flash on the router. Go to the download section of your device and see if there is a newer bootrom available.

Hi Karsten,

Thanks for the response. As I have found out. Apparently the bootrom is included with the current image I have. I can't understand how Cisco would limit this 2691 MPS router to just a 32 MB compact flash card limit considering the size of the IOS's are above 70mb. 

I don't suppose you have other options?

If I remember right, these devices support at least 64 MB of flash. And with 12.4 as the last supported versions, the IOS shouldn't be larger then that.

All in all, when the 2600 routers were introduced (that was last century, wasn't it? ;-) ) 32 MB was not really much, but quite common.

But you are right, these limits are hard to understand. My HO-router is a 866VA. Before loading a new image, I have to delete the old one because the flash is to small for two images ... :-(

I'll have to check this (IOS sizes) and get back to you if I can Karsten. 

Hi Karsten,

Cisco 2691 routers support up to 128 MB for compact flash

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/3700-series-multiservice-access-routers/product_data_sheet09186a008009203f.html

So now have to purchase this flash. Thanks again

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card