cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving buildings and need advice on best practices.

raul saurez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I am a rookie Engineer and I am trying not to make a mess of anything. Shortly we will be shutting down our NORTH building and we will be moving to our EAST building. I am wondering if anyone can suggest the best approach of doing this so I don't risk bringing our network down? Currently North and East are acting as VTP servers. We will be keeping North as the VTP server and make east the client. The North core will still be in place so I need to route all of the network traffic and Vlans from the North to the East(layer 3) where the employees will be moving. I know spanning vlans between buildings is frowned upon but I am not sure what other options I have. I have attached configs of both North and East. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

This maybe easier if you have a layer-3 connection between the North and East building with the new building (East) in different subnets and vlan for users.  This way, you can build your network ahead of time in the East building and when users move to it you can simply shut down the layer-3 connection between the buildings.

HTH 

Hello,

Thank you for your reply! Yes there is a layer three between the north and east, however, the North is the center of everything and we must go through it to access other servers etc. So I cant shut down the connection. Only thing I can think of is spanning between buildings but that comes with a whole set of other risks that I will face.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card