Views
Helpful
Replies

Clock Settings - Cisco C3550 series - not saved

mhail1987
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I'm new to the Cisco world, and my current concern it the clock settings.

I'm able to modify configuration by setting user for examples, changing the clock manually. However, once the switch lose power (Test), It restart however the only setting lost is the clock settings. I would like to know if it's normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you

Marouane

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

The 3550 doesn't have a hardware clock, so after being powered off it defaults the clock time. You need to synchronize with an NTP server which does have a hardware clock (many Cisco routers can do the job). 

Source:  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12-2_25_see/configuration/guide/3550SCG/swadmin.html

View solution in original post

Ed Jennings
Level 1
Level 1

I have this same issue with my SPA303.  I am not sure if I fixed it or not, but I went to the System/Optional Network Configuration page and saw that the DNS Server Order was set to "Manual", so I changed it to "DHCP, Manual" and put in the field for Primary NTP Server "time.windows.com" and submitted the changes.  So far, the time is synched, but I don't know if it will auto-synch with a power re-boot and I haven't had time to try this yet.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

The 3550 doesn't have a hardware clock, so after being powered off it defaults the clock time. You need to synchronize with an NTP server which does have a hardware clock (many Cisco routers can do the job). 

Source:  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12-2_25_see/configuration/guide/3550SCG/swadmin.html

Thank you for your response

You're welcome :)

This discussion has been reposted from Additional Communities to the LAN, Switching and Routing community.

Ed Jennings
Level 1
Level 1

I have this same issue with my SPA303.  I am not sure if I fixed it or not, but I went to the System/Optional Network Configuration page and saw that the DNS Server Order was set to "Manual", so I changed it to "DHCP, Manual" and put in the field for Primary NTP Server "time.windows.com" and submitted the changes.  So far, the time is synched, but I don't know if it will auto-synch with a power re-boot and I haven't had time to try this yet.

Thank you for your response

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card