cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring QoS with Subinterfaces on Cisco 2911 Router

thedeuce50
Level 1
Level 1

I have an environment where we will be implementing VOIP phone service and removing our current analog system. There is 1 Main location and 7 remote locations and we have a Cisco 2911 at each location. Currently we have static routes on each router that route all networks as needed.

Now when we add the VOIP network I will need to configure Subinterface since we have no more ports. I was going to Subinterface GigaEthernet0/1 and VLAN the DATA and VOICE network that way. At each remote location there will be a 10mb connection. Every remote location will route back to the main location, but the each remote location will also talk to each other too. I want to prioritize VOIP for 30% of traffic and everything else can just use what's left. The config I have below is what I've come up with so far...will it work? Or am I missing some steps?

class-map match-all VOICE
 match vlan  100
!
policy-map VOICE-POLICY
 class VOICE
  priority percent 30
policy-map TRAFFIC-SHAPE
 class class-default
  shape average 10000000
   service-policy VOICE-POLICY
!
!
!
!
!
interface Embedded-Service-Engine0/0
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 description connection to Main
 ip address 192.168.251.x 255.255.255.0
 duplex full
 speed 100
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 no ip address
 duplex auto
 speed auto
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.1
 description Data Link
 encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
 ip address 192.168.11.x 255.255.255.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.100
 description Voice Link
 encapsulation dot1Q 100
 ip address 10.1.11.x 255.255.255.0
 service-policy output TRAFFIC-SHAPE
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
 description ATM Network
 ip address 10.10.11.x 255.255.255.0
 duplex auto
 speed auto

9 Replies 9

ilyas.safarov
Level 1
Level 1

it depends on your bandwidth.if you have high bandwidth dont do this QoS.

Martin Hruby
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

As a first step I would recommend you configure a bandwidth on all your interfaces to reflect the actual configuration in your network. For example if interface GigabitEthernet0/1 is actually a 10 Mbps connection to a remote site, configure bandwidth 10000 under the interface.

Secondly, in your current configuration you apply your QoS policy under the sub-interface GigabitEthernet0/1.100 for VoIP, so actually the Data traffic will never be subjected to it (since it arrives on another sub-interface GigabitEthernet0/1.1). I would recommend you apply the QoS policy on the physical interface GigabitEthernet0/1. It is then inherited by the sub-interfaces and therefore applied to all traffic.

Finally regarding your configuration of the QoS policy itself, rather than matching vlan 100 in your class-map I would match either the IP range of the VoIP phones (in ACL) or match all packets marked with DSCP=EF (also in ACL but make sure that no intermediate device clears the marking). I would recommend also adjusting your QoS policy as follows:

policy-map P_BW_GUARANTEES
 class VOICE
    priority percent 30
 class class-default
    bandwidth remaining percent 100

policy-map P_SHAPE
 class class-default
    shape average 10000000
  service-policy P_BW_GUARANTEES

In the configuration above you have a policy P_SHAPE for shaping all outgoing traffic to 10 Mbps and it has a nested policy P_BW_GUARANTEES, which gives VoIP traffic priority handling up to 30% of the port speed and everything else then gets the remaining bandwidth. You apply the QoS policy P_SHAPE on the physical interface GigabitEthernet0/1 in outbound direction. Verify using: show policy-map interface GigabitEthernet0/1

Please note: the priority command has a built-in policer which will limit your VoIP traffic to 30% of the port speed so that it doesn't override all other queues (and starve them).

Best regards,
Martin

Ok I will try adjusting my policies and see if I can get this working.

Thanks for the response.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Martin has correctly noted, if you're going to shape traffic for 10 Mbps, you'll need to shape all the traffic, and then in a child policy, manage any shaped congestion.

But to your principal question, no, what you're (or Martin) is trying to do won't be effective if you're dealing with a multi-point network.  The problem with such networks, if two (or more) sites can send to another site, concurrently, what manages the WAN cloud egress bandwidth to that site?  To address this issue, either your WAN vendor needs to support QoS too, or you need to shape all your sites egress bandwidth so the possible aggregate doesn't exceed the available bandwidth.

For example, from what you've described, as seven sites might (in theory) transmit to one site, you can shape each to 10/7 Mbps.

If you do such shaping, you can experiment with over subscription and/or asymmetrical (i.e. all sites don't have to be the same) bandwidth allocations (e.g. branches could all use 1, while main uses 3).

BTW, on many routers, I believe the shaper doesn't count L2 overhead, if not, you need to set your shaped value lower to allow for it (I've found 15% a good general allowance).

Joseph

I agree, in a multipoint scenario it's possible for multiple remote sites to override a single site (i.e. HQ) in this configuration. The WAN link speeds you order and the bandwidth you pay for should follow an analysis of the traffic flow and volume. Also take into consideration that remote sites in different time zones have their traffic patterns offset. In the end of the day no QoS configuration will magically save the day if just don't have enough bandwidth. Plan ahead!

Best regards,
Martin

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"In the end of the day no QoS configuration will magically save the day if just don't have enough bandwidth."

Martin, I fully agree with your statement if really don't have enough bandwidth, but often it appears there's insufficient bandwidth because of lack of QoS.  In the latter cases, QoS can work magic.

For example, if you want to share link with VoIP and server to server backups "enough bandwidth" would mean sufficient bandwidth the link never hits 100%; which often can be very expensive for WAN links.

Conversely, with QoS, as long as you guarantee "enough bandwidth" for VoIP traffic, you can often use a WAN link with much, much less bandwidth.  That's the magic of QoS.  ;)

What do you mean by shape each site to 10/7 Mbps? Are you talking about like a maximum of 10 and average of 7? Something like that?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

If you have main and 7 branches and all have 10 Mbps connections, what happens, for example, if all 7 branches send their 10 Mbps to the main site?  I.e. the 70 Mbps aggregate?

One way to insure that's not a problem, you shape the 7 branches, such that all of them together will not exceed 10 Mbps.  One way to do that is to divide 10 Mbps by 7, the 10/7 (or about 1.4) Mbps, and shape each site at that rate.  Again, each site doesn't have to be 10/7 Mbps, but you need to shape all sites, so their aggregate doesn't create a situation like the first paragraph describes.

Peter Marshall
Level 1
Level 1

There are a couple of things missing that may help. First, where are the phone servers, all at the main site, or distributed? How many IP phones are at each site?

With that information, you have a shot at determining the concurrent call count. This article provides excellent explanations of the different codecs and includes a link to Cisco's Voice Codec Bandwidth Calculator: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/voice-quality/7934-bwidth-consume.html#topic1

Also, check with your service provider and see if they require a command, such as "traffic-shape rate 10000000" on the main interface to complement the "bandwidth 10000" statement. Be careful, the bandwidth statement is in kbps and the traffic-shape rate command is in bps.

Last, do you need to support anything else in the LLQs? If yes, again be careful, since Cisco's best practice is to allocate no more than 33% for the priority queues: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/QoS-SRND-Book/WANQoS.html

Please update us and let us know if it's working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card